Don’t expect a fast-paced game when the Memphis Grizzlies (18-20) visit San Antonio to play the Spurs (22-17). Action gets underway at 8:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 5, 2019, and can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
Memphis Grizzlies at San Antonio Spurs ATS Odds
The Spurs easily got past the Toronto Raptors in their last outing, 125-107, easily covering as 3.5-point favorites. The Grizzlies, on the other hand, were defeated by the Brooklyn Nets, 109-100, and failed to cover as 6.5-point underdogs. Both games finished over their projected point totals. The San Antonio game finished 14 points over the projected point total of 218, while the Memphis game went 11 points over the projected point total of 198.
The Spurs, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.531, had an absurd mark of 0.629 and had a better offensive rebounding percentage (21.1 vs. 20.0). Memphis, meanwhile, forced Brooklyn into a turnover percentage of 18.1 (above their season average of 12.5). San Antonio rallied around DeMar DeRozan, who recorded his zeroth triple-double of the season. He took over, collecting 21 points, 14 rebounds and 11 assists. Meanwhile, Kyle Anderson played a huge role in the victory for Memphis, collecting 11 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists on his way to his zeroth triple-double this year.
In their first matchup this year, Mike Conley led the Grizzlies to a 104-103 victory. He was the game’s top overall scorer with 30 points. The two teams combined to put up 207 points, which was over the projected point total of 199.5, and Memphis covered as a 3-point underdog. Memphis’ 0.531 effective field goal percentage was its largest advantage over San Antonio, who had a rate of 0.470.
Vegas has a tendency to set the total high when the Grizzlies are involved, as 59.5 percent of their contests have gone under the projected point total. Memphis heads into the game with records of 18-20 straight up (SU) and 17-20 against the spread (ATS).
Unlike Memphis, games involving the Spurs tend to finish over the total (56.4 percent). Further, San Antonio is 22-17 SU and 23-15-1 ATS.
The Grizzlies’ Anderson has been playing at a high level over his last five games, averaging 12 points,2.4 steals per game. Meanwhile, DeRozan has averaged 22 points,7.8 rebounds,6.8 assists,1.8 steals during that same time frame for the Spurs.
Half-court execution will be at a premium when two of the NBA’s slowest-paced teams battle. San Antonio ranks 26th in possessions per game (100.2) and Memphis is 30th (97.5). Also, the Grizzlies, who rank 29th in offensive rebounding percentage (17.8 percent), will square off against the Spurs, who rank fifth in defensive rebounding percentage (78.4 percent).
Memphis Grizzlies vs. San Antonio Spurs Pick
Free NBA Tip: SU Winner – Spurs, ATS Winner – Spurs, O/U – Over
- Neither of these teams shoot many threes. The Grizzlies are 25 in the NBA with 26.789473684210527 three pointers per game while the Spurs are 29 with 24.435897435897434 threes per game.
- Memphis ranks third in blocks per game (6.1) while San Antonio ranks 27th (4.4).
- The Spurs rank 12th in fast break points allowed per game (13.3) while the Grizzlies rank 25th (14.9).
- San Antonio ranks 18th in rebounds per game (44.5) while Memphis ranks 29th (39.6).
- Memphis ranks 2 in points allowed in the paint per game (41.26315789473684) while San Antonio ranks 7 (46.256410256410255).
- The Grizzlies rank seventh in steals per game (8.8) while the Spurs rank last (6.2).
- The Grizzlies rank 4 in second chance points allowed per game (11.578947368421053) while the Spurs rank 11 (12.717948717948717).
- Memphis averages 23.07894736842105 assists per game, which ranks 21 in the NBA. San Antonio ranks 22 in assists allowed per game (24.53846153846154).
- Memphis ranks seventh in points off turnovers per game (18.2) while San Antonio ranks 25th (14.6).
- San Antonio is 10-2 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Memphis is 10-3.
- The Grizzlies are 12-7 when they score over 100 points, while the Spurs are 21-10.
- Memphis is 8-11 ATS on the road, while San Antonio is 15-6 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 11 of the Spurs’ 21 home games, while 12 of the Grizzlies’ 19 road games have gone under.
- The Spurs are 5-0 ATS over their last five games, while the Grizzlies are 1-4.
- In their last five games, San Antonio has 3 overs and 2 unders, while Memphis has 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Spurs’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.6, up from 2.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Grizzlies have scored an average of 98.6 points per game (2.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 104.4 points per game (2.0 above their season average).