The Memphis Grizzlies (7-16) will travel to Talking Stick Resort Arena to challenge the Phoenix Suns (11-12). The Suns opened as 7-point favorites. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 231.5 points and it will air on Fox Sports – Southeast at 9 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 11, 2019.
Memphis Grizzlies at Phoenix Suns ATS Odds
Both teams covered in their last matchup. The Suns (3-point favorites) defeated the Minnesota Timberwolves 125-109, while the Grizzlies (3-point underdog) beat the Golden State Warriors 110-102. The Phoenix game went 1.5 points over the projected point total of 232.5, while the Memphis game went 8.5 points under the projected point total of 220.5.
Memphis’ effective field goal percentage was their biggest advantage over Golden State. The Grizzlies had a rate of 0.591 (above their season average of 0.511), while the Warriors posted a mark of 0.435 (below their season average of 0.486). The Suns, meanwhile, forced 16 turnovers and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.579 (above their season average of 0.533). Ricky Rubio was a key piece for Phoenix with 16 points and 14 assists. Ja Morant had a good game for Memphis, recording 26 points and seven assists.
In their first matchup this year, Aron Baynes led the Suns to a 114-105 win. He produced 20 points. The two teams combined to put up 219 points, which was just under the projected point total of 221.5, and Phoenix covered as a 3-point favorite. Phoenix had a better turnover percentage (15.2 vs. 17.5). Memphis, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (31.7 vs. 10.8).
Of the Grizzlies’ 23 games, 13 have gone under the total. Memphis heads into the contest with records of 7-16 straight up (SU) and 9-14 against the spread (ATS).
Contrary to Memphis, Suns games have a tendency to finish over the O/U total (60.9 percent). Additionally, Phoenix is 11-12 SU and 14-9 ATS.
Phoenix figures to have the advantage on the offensive side of the ball. The Suns rank sixth in offensive efficiency, while Memphis ranks 22nd in defensive efficiency. Ball security could be troublesome for the Grizzlies. They rank 24th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 14.7 percent), while the Suns force the second-most turnovers in the league (opponents’ turnover percentage of 15.8 percent).
Grizzlies at Suns ATS Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Suns, ATS Winner – Grizzlies, O/U – Over
- The Grizzlies average 13.4 second chance points per game, which ranks 12th in the league. The Suns rank 15th in second chance points allowed per game (13.1).
- Phoenix ranks second in points off turnovers per game (20.0) while Memphis ranks 29th in points off turnovers allowed per game (20.4).
- The Suns rank ninth in fast break points per game (14.3) while the Grizzlies rank 25th in fast break points allowed per game (14.9).
- Memphis ranks 11th in blocks per game (5.2) while Phoenix ranks 26th (4.0).
- Memphis averages 8.3 steals per game, which ranks ninth in the league. Phoenix ranks 15th in steals allowed per game (7.8).
- The Grizzlies rank second in points in the paint per game (53.7) while the Suns rank 24th in points allowed in the paint per game (50.9).
- The Suns rank ninth in three pointers attempted per game (35.7) while the Grizzlies rank 24th in three pointers allowed per game (35.1).
- Phoenix averages 28.3 assists per game, which ranks first in the league. Memphis ranks 23rd in assists allowed per game (25.3).
- Phoenix is 2-2 when they allow less than 100 points.
- The Suns are 11-10 when they score more than 100 points, while the Grizzlies are 7-11.
- Phoenix is 7-6 ATS at home, while Memphis is 4-6 ATS on the road.
- Of the Grizzlies’ 10 road games, they have 6 unders and 4 overs.
- Of the Suns’ 13 home games, they have 10 overs and 3 unders.
- The Suns are 4-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Grizzlies are 2-3.
- In their last five games, Phoenix has 3 overs and 2 unders, while Memphis has 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Suns’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.6, down from 1.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Grizzlies have scored an average of 108.0 points per game (0.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 111.6 points per game (4.7 below their season average).