The Memphis Grizzlies (28-27), 11-point underdogs, will travel to the Staples Center to challenge the Los Angeles Lakers (41-12). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 233 points and it will air on Fox Sports – Southeast at 10:30 p.m. ET on Friday, February 21, 2020.
Memphis Grizzlies vs. Los Angeles Lakers ATS Odds
In the Lakers’ last game, they covered the 3-point spread against the Denver Nuggets, 120-116. The Grizzlies, on the other hand, were beat by the Sacramento Kings, 129-125, and were not able to cover as 3.5-point underdogs. Both games went over their projected point totals. The Los Angeles game went 15.5 points over the projected point total of 220.5, while the Memphis game finished 19.5 points over the projected point total of 234.5.
The Lakers held the Nuggets to an offensive rebounding percentage of 7.1 (below their season average of 25.2) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.570 (above their season average of 0.551). Memphis, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 31.4 (above their season average of 22.0). Los Angeles was led by LeBron James, who put up 32 points, 14 assists and 12 rebounds. This gave him his 11th triple-double of the year. Meanwhile, De’Anthony Melton had a good outing for Memphis, putting up 24 points and six rebounds.
The Lakers have won both matchups against the Grizzlies this year. The two teams combined for 217 points in their most recent game, which was under the projected point total of 226.5. Los Angeles won 109-108 but was unable to cover as an 8-point favorite. Los Angeles had a much better free throw rate (0.238 vs. 0.090). Memphis, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (29.3 vs. 23.9). Despite the loss, Ja Morant had a standout performance with 26 points, six assists and five steals.
There does not appear to be a trend for Grizzlies games in regards to the total, as there has been an even split between games finishing over and under. Memphis heads into the contest with records of 28-27 straight up (SU) and 30-23-1 against the spread (ATS).
Games involving the Lakers have finished over the total 50.9 percent of the time. Moreover, Los Angeles owns records of 41-12 SU and 28-24-1 ATS.
The high-powered offense of Los Angeles will battle against the mid-tier defense of Memphis. The Lakers currently rank fourth in offensive efficiency, while the Grizzlies are 17th in defensive efficiency. The Lakers should have the edge on that side of the ball.
Memphis Grizzlies vs. Los Angeles Lakers Odds Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Lakers, ATS Winner – Grizzlies, O/U – Under
- The Lakers average 53.7 points in the paint per game, which ranks second in the NBA. The Grizzlies rank 11th in points allowed in the paint per game (46.7).
- Los Angeles averages 18.6 points off turnovers per game, which ranks third in the league. Memphis ranks 27th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.4).
- The Lakers average 6.8 blocks per game, which ranks first in the league. The Grizzlies rank 20th in blocks allowed per game (5.3).
- Los Angeles averages 26.3 assists per game, which ranks fourth in the NBA. Memphis ranks 22nd in assists allowed per game (24.8).
- Los Angeles ranks first in rebounds allowed per game (41.6) while Memphis ranks 12th (44.9).
- The Grizzlies rank fourth in fast break points per game (17.6) while the Lakers rank 28th in fast break points allowed per game (16.2).
- The Grizzlies average 7.9 steals per game, which ranks 12th in the NBA. The Lakers rank 26th in steals allowed per game (8.2).
- Los Angeles ranks second in second chance points per game (14.9) while Memphis ranks 24th in second chance points allowed per game (14.0).
- Los Angeles is 15-0 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Memphis is 4-0.
- The Grizzlies are 27-21 when they score over 100 points, while the Lakers are 37-11.
- Los Angeles is 13-11-1 ATS at home, while Memphis is 13-11-1 ATS on the road.
- The Grizzlies have 13 overs and 12 unders in 25 road games.
- The Lakers have 14 unders and 11 overs in 25 home games.
- The Grizzlies are 4-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Lakers are 3-2.
- In their last five games, Memphis has 3 unders and 2 overs, while Los Angeles has 3 overs and 2 unders.
- During their last five games, the Grizzlies have scored an average of 114.0 points per game (0.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 111.6 points per game (3.1 below their season average).
- The Lakers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 10.2, up from 7.4 for the season.