The McNeese State Cowboys (5-9, 1-0 SthLnd) and the Northwestern State Demons (5-9, 0-1 SthLnd) go head-to-head at Prather Coliseum. The Cowboys can snap a seven-game road losing streak. Action starts at 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 5, 2019.
McNeese State Cowboys at Northwestern State Demons Betting Odds
In their last outing, the Demons easily got past the Centenary Gentlemen, 102-62, while the Cowboys were blown out by the Saint Mary’s Gaels, 87-65.
Northwestern State dominated every stat category in the contest. They had a free throw rate of 0.250 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 44.2. Centenary had marks of 0.069 and 28.0, respectively, for those same stats. McNeese State, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (33.3 vs. 27.6). Ishmael Lane was a key piece for Northwestern State with 15 points, six rebounds and five blocks. Malik Hines, meanwhile had a good outing for McNeese State, contributing 26 points and six rebounds.
The Cowboys dominated this series last year, winning both contests. In the last matchup, McNeese State won 75-62. McNeese State’s 0.259 free throw rate was their largest advantage over Northwestern State, who had a rate of 0.104. This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
It will be a battle of contrasting tempos as the fast-breaking Demons (ranked 84th in the nation in possessions per game) will look to push the slower-paced Cowboys (273rd in possessions per game). Additionally, the Cowboys are among the country’s elite on the offensive backboards, ranking 28th in offensive rebounding percentage (36.1 percent). The Demons, meanwhile, rank 304th at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 67.4 percent.
McNeese State Cowboys vs. Northwestern State Demons Betting Pick
Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Northwestern State, O/U – Over
- McNeese State ranks 25th in rebounds allowed per game (30.9) while Northwestern State ranks 248th (40.5).
- The Cowboys rank 38th in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while the Demons rank 146th (4.5).
- Northwestern State averages 7.0 steals per game, which ranks 84th in the NCAA. McNeese State ranks 166th in steals allowed per game (8.0).
- The Cowboys rank 114th in assists per game (14.0) while the Demons rank 228th (10.4).
- Northwestern State ranks 151st in three pointers attempted per game (22.2) while McNeese State ranks 260th (16.9).
- The Demons’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 10.2, up from 8.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cowboys have scored an average of 69.8 points per game (2.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 69.6 points per game (4.3 below their season average).