The No. 14 Minnesota Golden Gophers (5-0) and the Massachusetts Minutemen (3-1) face off at Barclays Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 151 points with Minnesota opening as a 15-point favorite. Action gets underway at 12 p.m. ET on Friday, November 24, 2017.
Massachusetts Minutemen vs. Minnesota Golden Gophers Odds Preview
The Minutemen beat the Western Carolina Catamounts in their last contest, 85-76. Luwane Pipkins was the top scorer from either team with 21 points on 6-for-15 shooting. Massachusetts played a nearly perfect game. They had a turnover percentage of 14.9 (better than their season average of 19.6) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 50.0 (above their season average of 31.6). For those same stats, Western Carolina recorded marks of 21.6 and 37.9, respectively.
In the Golden Gophers last game, they blew out the Alabama A&M Bulldogs, 100-57. Minnesota was lifted by Jordan Murphy, who was the games high scorer with 20 points on 9-for-10 shooting. Minnesota played a perfect game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.5 (better than their season average of 11.5) and a free throw rate of 0.129 (matching their season average). For those same stats, Alabama A&M recorded marks of 23.1 and 0.066, respectively.
Minnesota should have the edge on the defensive side of the ball. Dating back to last season, the Golden Gophers rank 12th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.453), while Massachusetts is 202nd in effective field goal percentage (0.503).
Since last season, the Minutemen are 18-19 straight up (SU) and 14-16-1 against the spread (ATS). Massachusetts games have gone over the O/U total 51.6 percent of the time since last season.
The Golden Gophers, meanwhile, have records of 29-9 SU and 22-14 ATS since last season. Vegas has had a tendency to place the total low when Minnesota has been involved over that same stretch as 63.9 percent of their games have gone over the projected point total.
Massachusetts Minutemen vs. Minnesota Golden Gophers Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Minnesota, ATS Winner – Minnesota, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Minutemen rank 46th in steals per game (7.4) while the Golden Gophers rank 196th (5.8).
- Massachusetts ranks 23rd in blocks per game (5.1) while Minnesota ranks 169th in blocks allowed per game (3.6).
- Massachusetts ranks 72nd in three pointers attempted per game (23.6) while Minnesota ranks 279th (18.3).
- The Golden Gophers rank 14th in rebounds per game (40.0) while the Minutemen rank 202nd in rebounds allowed per game (35.9).
- Massachusetts ranks 30th in assists per game (16.1) while Minnesota ranks 183rd in assists allowed per game (13.5).