The Massachusetts Minutemen (13-15, 7-8 A10) will be at the Robins Center to meet the Richmond Spiders (21-7, 11-4 A10) in an A10 matchup. The game gets underway at 6 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 29, 2020.
Massachusetts Minutemen at Richmond Spiders Betting Odds
Both teams were triumphant in their last game. The Spiders won a close one over the George Washington Colonials 73-70, while the Minutemen defeated the VCU Rams 60-52.
The Minutemen held the Rams to an effective field goal percentage of 0.360 (below their season average of 0.493). The Rams had a free throw rate of 0.193 (below their season average of 0.236). Richmond, meanwhile, dominated nearly every facet of their game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.6 (better than their season average of 14.3) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 27.0 (above their season average of 21.6). For those same stats, George Washington put up marks of 19.6 and 20.0, respectively. Richmond was led by Grant Golden, who contributed 12 points, eight assists and seven rebounds. Tre Mitchell, meanwhile fueled Massachusetts with 19 points and 15 rebounds.
The Minutemen won the lone contest between these two teams last year, 87-79. Massachusetts’ rebounding was their largest strength. The Minutemen had 19 offensive rebounds and 47 total rebounds, while the Spiders had 11 and 27, respectively. This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
The Minutemen’s Mitchell has been playing well over his last five games, averaging 22 points,8.4 rebounds per game. Meanwhile, Golden has averaged 14 points,7.8 rebounds,3.4 assists during that same time frame for the Spiders.
The sharp-shooting offense of Richmond (40th in the NCAA with an effective field goal percentage 0.532) will go head-to-head against the bottom-tier defense of Massachusetts (261st in effective field goal percentage allowed 0.508). The Spiders figure to have the advantage on that end of the court.
Massachusetts Minutemen vs. Richmond Spiders Odds Pick
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Richmond, ATS Winner – Massachusetts, O/U – Over
- Richmond averages 15.3 assists per game, which ranks 27th in the nation. Massachusetts ranks 229th in assists allowed per game (14.4).
- The Minutemen rank 13th in blocks allowed per game (2.3) while the Spiders rank 85th (3.1).
- Richmond ranks 214th in rebounds per game (33.8) while Massachusetts ranks 246th (32.9).
- The Minutemen rank 26th in three pointers allowed per game (17.9) while the Spiders rank 219th (23.4).
- Richmond averages 8.2 steals per game, which ranks 29th in the country. Massachusetts ranks 184th in steals allowed per game (7.1).
- During their last five games, the Spiders have scored an average of 72.0 points per game (2.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 60.2 points per game (6.7 below their season average).
- The Minutemen have outscored opponents by an average of 2.8 points in their last five games. On the season, Massachusetts has been defeated by an average of 2.5 points.