The Massachusetts-Lowell River Hawks (11-16, 5-9 AmEast) will travel to Retriever Activities Center to square off against the UMBC Retrievers (19-10, 10-4 AmEast) in their home finale. Action begins at 1 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 24, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Massachusetts-Lowell River Hawks vs. UMBC Retrievers ATS Preview
In the River Hawks last contest, they beat the Maine Black Bears, 88-76. Jahad Thomas was the top scorer from either team with 26 points on 10-for-19 shooting. Massachusetts-Lowell dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.288 (above their season average of 0.283) and a turnover percentage of 13.8 (better than their season average of 17.2). For those same stats, Maine was 0.143 and 23.3, respectively.
The Retrievers are hoping for a better outcome after their 64-57 loss to the Stony Brook Seawolves in their last matchup. Jairus Lyles was UMBC’s high scorer with 18 points on 6-for-22 shooting. Stony Brook did a terrific job of making free throws (13-18; 72.2 percent). UMBC, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 10.4 (better than their season average of 15.7).
It will be a matchup of contrasting paces as the fast-breaking River Hawks will look to push the slower-paced Retrievers. The River Hawks currently rank 98th in possessions per game while the Retrievers are 233rd.
These teams have already met once this season. The Retrievers won 89-62. UMBC made 16 of its 25 three pointers (64.0 percent). Massachusetts-Lowell, on the other hand, had a much better free throw rate (0.241 vs. 0.123). Lyles was the games top overall scorer with 21 points.
Massachusetts-Lowell River Hawks vs. UMBC Retrievers Prediction
Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Massachusetts-Lowell, ATS Winner – Massachusetts-Lowell, O/U – Under
- The Retrievers average 15.2 assists per game, which ranks 64th in the nation. The River Hawks rank 155th in assists allowed per game (13.7).
- UMBC ranks 27th in three pointers attempted per game (26.8) while Massachusetts-Lowell ranks 202nd (20.7).
- The Retrievers average 7.6 steals per game, which ranks 33rd in the NCAA. The River Hawks rank 182nd in steals allowed per game (7.1).
- UMBC ranks 188th in rebounds per game (34.5) while Massachusetts-Lowell ranks 281st (31.7).
- The Retrievers have been outscored by an average of 1.6 points in their last five games. For the season, UMBC has defeated opponents by an average of 3.6 points.
- During their last five games, the River Hawks have scored an average of 76.0 points per game (0.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 79.6 points per game (1.6 above their season average).