Expect a low-scoring game when the Maryland Terrapins (11-3, 2-1 Big 10) challenge the Rutgers Scarlet Knights (7-5, 0-2 Big 10) at Louis Brown Athletic Center. Action begins at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 5, 2019.
Maryland Terrapins vs. Rutgers Scarlet Knights Betting Odds
Both teams were victorious in their last game. The Scarlet Knights dismantled the Fairleigh Dickinson Knights 90-55, while the Terrapins defeated the Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens 73-67.
The Terrapins had a much better free throw rate (0.339 vs. 0.138) and had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (39.5 vs. 25.6). Meanwhile, Rutgers dominated every stat category in their game. They had an effective field goal percentage of 0.631 and a free throw rate of 0.123. For those same stats, Fairleigh Dickinson was 0.397 and 0.079, respectively. Eugene Omoruyi had a good game for Rutgers, putting up 14 points and 10 rebounds. Meanwhile, Jalen Smith fueled Maryland with 19 points and 13 rebounds.
The Terrapins won the sole game between these two teams last season, 61-51. Maryland did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (10-14; 71.4 percent). Rutgers, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (31.6 vs. 15.4). This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Anthony Cowan Jr. has been excellent over the last five games for Maryland, averaging 0 points per game.
Half-court execution will be at a premium when two of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams square off. Rutgers currently ranks 269th in possessions per game (68.3) and Maryland is 294th (67.7). Additionally, the Terrapins rank 45th in offensive efficiency (114.0), while the Scarlet Knights rank 56th in defensive efficiency (93.9).
Maryland vs. Rutgers Betting Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Rutgers, ATS Winner – Maryland, O/U – Over
- Maryland ranks third in rebounds allowed per game (28.6) while Rutgers ranks 116th (34.6).
- The Scarlet Knights average 23.2 three pointers per game, which ranks 118th in the nation. The Terrapins rank 129th in three pointers allowed per game (22.7).
- Rutgers is 50th in the country with 11.3 assists allowed per game while Maryland is 51st with 11.4 assists allowed per game.
- The Scarlet Knights average 4.8 blocks per game, which ranks 33rd in the NCAA. The Terrapins rank 106th in blocks allowed per game (3.6).
- Rutgers averages 6.7 steals per game, which ranks 100th in the NCAA. Maryland ranks 157th in steals allowed per game (7.6).
- During their last five games, the Scarlet Knights have scored an average of 73.4 points per game (4.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 57.0 points per game (6.0 below their season average).
- The Terrapins’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 15.2, up from 11.6 for the season.