The Maryland Terrapins (17-10, 6-8 Big 10) will try to put an end to the five-game winning streak of Nebraska when they travel to Pinnacle Bank Arena to square off against the Cornhuskers (19-8, 10-4 Big 10). The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 143.5 points with Nebraska set as a 2.5-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 13, 2018.
Maryland Terrapins at Nebraska Cornhuskers Betting Preview
The last time the Terrapins played, they were victorious over the Northwestern Wildcats, 73-57. Kevin Huerter was the top scorer from either team with 22 points on 7-for-12 shooting. The Terrapins had an absurd effective field goal percentage of 0.618 (above their season average of 0.551), while the Wildcats had a free throw rate of 0.175 (below their season average of 0.237).
The Cornhuskers will look to keep it rolling after defeating the Rutgers Scarlet Knights in their last outing, 67-55. Isaiah Roby played well for Nebraska, contributing 10 points and 11 rebounds. The Cornhuskers knocked down 14 of their 19 free throws (73.7 percent) and held the Scarlet Knights to an effective field goal percentage of 0.362 (below their season average of 0.439).
Half-court execution will be at a premium when two of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams go head-to-head. Nebraska currently ranks 255th in possessions per game (68.1) and Maryland is 301st (67.0). Also, the elite offense of the Terrapins ranks 34th in effective field goal percentage (0.554), while the Cornhuskers are 26th-best in the nation at effective field goal percentage allowed (0.465).
Both of these teams have typically finished under the projected point total. Games featuring Maryland have gone under 57.1 percent of the time, while 64.0 percent of Nebraska games have finished under. The Cornhuskers come into this game with much better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 19-8 SU and 19-6 ATS, while the Terrapins are 17-10 SU and 13-8-2 ATS.
James Palmer Jr. has been on fire over the last five games for Nebraska, averaging 25.4 points, 5.2 rebounds and 4.0 assists per game.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year, after the Cornhuskers won the lone game last season, 67-65. Nebraska had a much better free throw rate (0.263 vs. 0.123). Maryland, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (18.2 vs. 18.3).
Maryland Terrapins at Nebraska Cornhuskers Odds Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Nebraska, ATS Winner – Maryland, O/U – Under
- The Cornhuskers average 5.6 blocks per game, which ranks 10th in the NCAA. The Terrapins rank 101st in blocks allowed per game (3.4).
- Maryland is 5-5 ATS on the road with 5 overs and 5 unders.
- At home, Nebraska is 10-2 ATS with 8 unders and 4 overs.
- Maryland ranks 19th in rebounds allowed per game (31.0) while Nebraska ranks 260th (38.5).
- The Cornhuskers rank 17th in three pointers allowed per game (18.1) while the Terrapins rank 171st (22.6).
- Nebraska ranks 33rd in steals allowed per game (5.1) while Maryland ranks 166th (6.8).
- Nebraska is 5-0 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Maryland is 3-1-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Cornhuskers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.8, up from 4.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Terrapins have scored an average of 69.2 points per game (5.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 68.6 points per game (1.5 above their season average).