It will be a matchup between two superb defenses when the Michigan State Spartans (17-8, 9-5 Big 10) meet the ninth-ranked Maryland Terrapins (20-4, 10-3 Big 10) at Jack Breslin Student Events Center. The game will air on ESPN at 6 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 15, 2020.
Maryland Terrapins vs. Michigan State Spartans Betting Odds
Both teams won a tight one over their last opponent. The Spartans defeated the 22nd-ranked Illinois Fighting Illini 70-69, while the Terrapins beat the Nebraska Cornhuskers 72-70.
The Terrapins had a much better free throw rate (0.288 vs. 0.172) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.548 (above their season average of 0.482). Meanwhile, Michigan State’s effective field goal percentage was their biggest advantage over Illinois. The Spartans had a rate of 0.553 (above their season average of 0.517), while the Fighting Illini posted a mark of 0.408 (below their season average of 0.499). Xavier Tillman was a key piece for Michigan State with 17 points and 11 rebounds. Jalen Smith, meanwhile had a good game for Maryland, putting up 16 points and 13 rebounds.
The Spartans won the sole contest between these two teams last season, 69-55. Michigan State’s 0.115 free throw rate was their largest strength over Maryland, who had a rate of 0.066. This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year.
This showdown pits one of the NCAA’s top offenses against one of its elite defenses. Michigan State ranks 39th in offensive efficiency and Maryland ranks 22nd in defensive efficiency.
Maryland Terrapins at Michigan State Spartans Free Pick
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Maryland, ATS Winner – Maryland, O/U – Under
- Michigan State ranks third in assists per game (17.8) while Maryland ranks 144th (13.1).
- The Terrapins rank 81st in three pointers attempted per game (24.2) while the Spartans rank 171st in three pointers allowed per game (22.3).
- The Spartans average 5.3 blocks per game, which ranks 12th in the nation. The Terrapins rank 134th in blocks allowed per game (3.6).
- Michigan State averages 41.2 rebounds per game, which ranks seventh in the NCAA. Maryland ranks 124th in rebounds allowed per game (34.3).
- During their last five games, the Spartans have scored an average of 70.0 points per game (5.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 67.0 points per game (3.0 above their season average).
- The Terrapins’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.4, down from 9.5 for the season.