The Norfolk State Spartans (7-11, 3-0 MEAC) welcome the Maryland Eastern Shore Hawks (2-16, 1-2 MEAC) to Echols Hall. The Hawks can snap a 13-game road losing streak. Action gets underway at 6:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 18, 2020.
Maryland Eastern Shore Hawks at Norfolk State Spartans ATS Odds
In their last outing, the Spartans defeated the Howard Bison, 71-63, while the Hawks lost to the North Carolina Central Eagles, 69-64.
Norfolk State played a flawless game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.364 (above their season average of 0.217) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 37.1 (above their season average of 30.7). Howard was 0.167 and 30.0, respectively, for those same stats. Maryland Eastern Shore, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 47.6 (above their season average of 23.8). Devante Carter played well for Norfolk State with 10 points and 10 rebounds. Meanwhile, Maryland Eastern Shore was lifted by AJ Cheeseman, who contributed 19 points and 10 rebounds.
The Spartans won the lone game between these two teams last season, 88-60. Converting at the free throw line was one of Norfolk State’s biggest strengths. They were 14-17 (82.4 percent), while the Hawks were just 9-16 (56.3 percent). This is the first time these teams will meet this year.
Looking at effective field goal percentage, Norfolk State figures to have a considerable advantage. The Spartans defense ranks 99th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.466), while the Maryland Eastern Shore offense is ranked 351st in effective field goal percentage (0.403). It could also be a mistake-prone game for the offense of the Hawks, which ranks 330th in ball security (turnover percentage of 23.0 percent). They’ll be going up against the stingy defense of the Spartans, which forces the 45th-most turnovers in the country (23.1 percent).
Maryland Eastern Shore Hawks vs. Norfolk State Spartans Free Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Norfolk State, ATS Winner – Norfolk State, O/U – Over
- Norfolk State ranks 44th in steals allowed per game (5.6) while Maryland Eastern Shore ranks 194th (8.3).
- The Hawks average 23.2 three pointers per game, which ranks 98th in the NCAA. The Spartans rank 176th in three pointers allowed per game (23.1).
- The Spartans average 36.7 rebounds per game, which ranks 121st in the NCAA. The Hawks rank 265th in rebounds allowed per game (39.7).
- Norfolk State ranks 149th in assists per game (12.8) while Maryland Eastern Shore ranks 248th (10.0).
- During their last five games, the Hawks have scored an average of 56.8 points per game (2.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 78.8 points per game (4.7 above their season average).
- The Spartans’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.8, up from 3.8 for the season.