The Marshall Thundering Herd (2-0) will travel to Ellis T Johnson Arena to square off against the Morehead State Eagles (0-2) in their home opener. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 165 points with Marshall opening as a 2.5-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, November 16, 2017.
Marshall Thundering Herd vs. Morehead State Eagles Odds Preview
The last time the Thundering Herd played, they were victorious over the Southern University Jaguars, 83-74. With 14 points, eight rebounds and five blocks, Marshall’s Ajdin Penava played well. The Thundering Herd had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.573 vs. 0.456) and had a better free throw rate (0.194 vs. 0.176).
The Eagles are hoping for a better outcome after their 77-70 loss to the Lipscomb Bisons in their last contest. With 12 points and seven rebounds, Morehead State’s Malek Green had a solid outing. Lipscomb did a terrific job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (30-40; 75.0 percent). Morehead State, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (19.6 vs. 23.7).
Expect Morehead State to own the offensive glass in this meeting. The Eagles rank 22nd in offensive rebounding percentage (35.7 percent), while Marshall ranks 314th in defensive rebounding percentage (67.2 percent) since last season. Also, the 60th-ranked offense of the Thundering Herd (offensive efficiency of 111.4) will go head-to-head against the 273rd-ranked defense of the Eagles (defensive efficiency of 108.0).
The Thundering Herd have had records of 22-15 straight up (SU) and 21-12 against the spread (ATS) since last season. Games involving Marshall have had a tendency to go over the O/U total since last season (63.6 percent).
On the other hand, the Eagles, have records of 14-18 SU and 9-17 ATS since last season. Vegas has been fairly accurate when setting the O/U total of Morehead State games over that same time frame with 14 unders compared to 12 overs.
The Thundering Herd won the lone game against the Eagles last season, 85-77. Marshall did a fantastic job of getting and making free throws (30-36; 83.3 percent). Morehead State, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (31.0 vs. 21.9).
Marshall Thundering Herd at Morehead State Eagles ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Marshall, ATS Winner – Morehead State, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Thundering Herd average 4.0 blocks per game, which ranks 77th in the NCAA. The Eagles rank 202nd in blocks allowed per game (3.9).
- Morehead State averages 6.8 steals per game, which ranks 101st in the NCAA. Marshall ranks 141st in steals allowed per game (6.1).
- Morehead State ranks 67th in rebounds allowed per game (33.2) while Marshall ranks 320th (42.1).
- The Thundering Herd rank sixth in three pointers attempted per game (27.8) while the Eagles rank 242nd (18.9).
- Morehead State averages 15.6 assists per game, which ranks 48th in the NCAA. Marshall ranks 269th in assists allowed per game (14.9).