The Marshall Thundering Herd (8-6, 1-0 CUSA) will be at Dale F. Halton Arena to clash against the Charlotte 49ers (3-9, 0-1 CUSA) in a CUSA matchup. Action starts at 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 5, 2019.
Marshall Thundering Herd at Charlotte 49ers Betting Odds
In their last matchup, the 49ers were beaten by the Chattanooga Mocs, 80-69, while the Thundering Herd dismantled the Eastern Kentucky Colonels, 105-77.
The Thundering Herd had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.553 vs. 0.344) and had a better free throw rate (0.276 vs. 0.275). Charlotte, meanwhile, did a great job of converting from the charity stripe (17-23; 73.9 percent). Charlotte’s Jon Davis played well, finishing with 31 points. C.J. Burks played a pivotal role for Marshall with 30 points.
The Thundering Herd dominated this series last year, winning both contests. In the most recent contest, Marshall won 103-75. Marshall had a much better turnover percentage (8.3 vs. 15.8). Charlotte, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of converting from the charity stripe (14-17; 82.4 percent). This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year.
This has potential to be a sloppy game for the Charlotte offense. Charlotte ranks 332nd in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 23.1 percent), while the gambling defense of Marshall forces the 58th-most turnovers in the country (22.3 percent). This game should be a battle of conflicting styles. The up-tempo Thundering Herd rank 16th in possessions per game, while the slower-paced 49ers rank 342nd.
Marshall at Charlotte ATS Pick
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Charlotte, ATS Winner – Marshall, O/U – Under
- Marshall ranks 27th in three pointers attempted per game (27.8) while Charlotte ranks 236th (19.3).
- The Thundering Herd rank 117th in assists per game (14.1) while the 49ers rank 245th (8.7).
- Marshall averages 4.7 blocks per game, which ranks 34th in the NCAA. Charlotte ranks 110th in blocks allowed per game (4.0).
- The 49ers rank 60th in rebounds allowed per game (32.7) while the Thundering Herd rank 247th (40.0).
- Marshall ranks 19th in steals per game (8.7) while Charlotte ranks 204th (4.6).
- During their last five games, the Thundering Herd have scored an average of 88.2 points per game (8.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 79.8 points per game (0.8 below their season average).
- The 49ers’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 6.2, down from 10.8 for the season.