The Marquette Golden Eagles (16-12, 7-9 Big East) will travel to Capital One Arena to take on the Georgetown Hoyas (15-12, 5-11 Big East) in their home finale. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 161 points with Marquette set as a 1.5-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Monday, February 26, 2018.
Marquette Golden Eagles at Georgetown Hoyas Free Preview
The Golden Eagles fell to the DePaul Blue Demons in their last outing, 70-62. Marquette’s Sam Hauser had a good game, recording 11 points and nine rebounds. DePaul did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (23-32; 71.9 percent). Marquette, on the other hand, held the Blue Demons to an effective field goal percentage of 0.398 (below their season average of 0.485).
In the Hoyas’ last matchup, they were defeated by the Providence Friars, 74-69. Jessie Govan was the top scorer from either team with 20 points on 8-for-15 shooting. Providence had a turnover percentage of 5.6 (better than their season average of 15.8). Georgetown, on the other hand, held the Friars to an offensive rebounding percentage of 13.5 (below their season average of 29.8).
The physical Georgetown offense might be living from the charity stripe in this battle. The Hoyas rank 25th in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.294, while Marquette ranks 317th in FTA rate allowed (0.290).
Of Marquette’s 26 games with betting action, 15 have finished over the O/U total, while 12 of Georgetown’s 23 games have finished under the O/U total. Both teams have very similar records straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS). The Golden Eagles are 16-12 SU and 13-13-1 ATS, while the Hoyas are 15-12 SU and 12-11-1 ATS.
Hauser has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Marquette, averaging 17.6 points, 6.6 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 139 points, well under the projected point total of 158. The Golden Eagles won 74-65, covering as 9-point favorites. The Golden Eagles’ 17.4 turnover percentage was their largest strength over the Hoyas, who had a rate of 30.2. Andrew Rowsey scored a game-high 35 points.
Marquette Golden Eagles vs. Georgetown Hoyas Betting Prediction
Free Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Marquette, ATS Winner – Marquette, O/U – Over
- The Golden Eagles average 6.4 steals per game, which ranks 111th in the nation. The Hoyas rank 199th in steals allowed per game (7.3).
- Marquette ranks 88th in blocks per game (3.8) while Georgetown ranks 110th in blocks allowed per game (3.4).
- Marquette is 7-5 ATS on the road with 9 overs and 3 unders.
- At home, Georgetown is 5-10 ATS with 8 unders and 6 overs.
- Georgetown ranks 31st in rebounds per game (38.9) while Marquette ranks 259th (32.4).
- The Golden Eagles average 26.8 three pointers per game, which ranks 24th in the NCAA. The Hoyas rank 246th in three pointers allowed per game (24.6).
- Georgetown ranks ninth in assists per game (17.5) while Marquette ranks 219th in assists allowed per game (14.8).
- Georgetown is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Marquette is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Hoyas have been outscored by an average of 2.8 points in their last five games. On the season, Georgetown has defeated opponents by an average of 3.5 points.
- During their last five games, the Golden Eagles have scored an average of 80.6 points per game (0.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 80.0 points per game (2.1 above their season average).