The Manhattan Jaspers (13-15, 8-8 MAAC) will travel to Hynes Athletics Center to challenge the Iona Gaels (16-12, 10-6 MAAC) in their home finale. Iona is a 7-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 143 points. Action starts at 12 p.m. ET on Friday, February 23, 2018.
Manhattan Jaspers at Iona Gaels Free Preview
The Jaspers beat the Niagara Purple Eagles in their last game, 82-72. Rich Williams was the top scorer from either team with 21 points on 9-for-16 shooting. The Jaspers held the Purple Eagles to an effective field goal percentage of 0.454 (below their season average of 0.513) and had a turnover percentage of 9.9 (better than their season average of 20.8).
In the Gaels’ last game, they were defeated by the Niagara Purple Eagles, 85-84. With 16 points and seven rebounds, E.J. Crawford played well for Iona. Niagara had a better free throw rate (0.203 vs. 0.117). Iona, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 8.7 (better than their season average of 14.8).
It will be a showdown of contrasting paces as the up-and-down Gaels (ranked 51st in the nation in possessions per game) will look to push the more grind-it-out Jaspers (285th in possessions per game).
Of Manhattan’s 26 games that accepted bets, 17 have finished under the O/U total, while 13 of Iona’s 24 games have finished over the projected point total. The Gaels have the superior straight up (SU) record (16-12 vs. 13-15), but the Jaspers hold the clear advantage against the spread (ATS) (15-11 vs. 12-11-1).
Crawford has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Iona, averaging 15.2 points per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 143 points in that game, which was just under the projected point total of 144. The Gaels won 78-65, covering as 7-point favorites. The Gaels played a nearly flawless game. They had a superb turnover percentage of 8.9 and a fantastic effective field goal percentage of 0.618. The Jaspers had marks of 16.2 and 0.467, respectively, for those same stats. In the victory, Schadrac Casimir led all scorers with 20 points.
Manhattan Jaspers at Iona Gaels Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Iona, ATS Winner – Manhattan, O/U – Over
- The Gaels rank 27th in assists per game (16.5) while the Jaspers rank 166th in assists allowed per game (13.8).
- Manhattan allows the sixth-fewest blocks per game (2.2) while Iona ranks 49th (2.8).
- Manhattan is 10-8 ATS on the road with 12 unders, 5 overs and 1 push.
- Iona is 3-6 ATS at home with 5 unders and 4 overs.
- Iona ranks 43rd in three pointers attempted per game (25.6) while Manhattan ranks 243rd (19.3).
- The Gaels rank 15th in steals allowed per game (4.9) while the Jaspers rank 203rd (7.8).
- Manhattan ranks 107th in rebounds allowed per game (33.8) while Iona ranks 246th (37.4).
- Iona is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Manhattan is 4-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Gaels’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.2, down from 3.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Jaspers have scored an average of 73.8 points per game (5.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 68.6 points per game (0.3 below their season average).