The Loyola Chicago Ramblers (23-5, 13-3 MVC) will travel to SIU Arena to take on the Southern Illinois Salukis (19-10, 11-5 MVC) in their home finale. Loyola Chicago opened as a 3-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 137 points. Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 21, 2018.
Loyola Chicago Ramblers at Southern Illinois Salukis Betting Preview
The Ramblers defeated the Evansville Aces in their last game, 76-66. With 17 points, seven rebounds and six assists, Clayton Custer played well for Loyola Chicago. Loyola Chicago dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.7 (below their season average of 22.5) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.686 (above their season average of 0.584). For those same stats, Evansville had marks of 13.3 and 0.481, respectively.
In the Salukis last game, they defeated the Indiana State Sycamores, 76-72. With 18 points on 4-for-10 shooting, Aaron Cook led Southern Illinois in scoring. The Salukis held the Sycamores to an effective field goal percentage of 0.439 (below their season average of 0.511) and had a better turnover percentage (17.7 vs. 20.1).
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when two of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams go head-to-head. Southern Illinois currently ranks 269th in possessions per game (67.8) and Loyola Chicago is 324th (66.1). ,
Of Loyola Chicago’s 24 games with betting action, 12 have finished over the projected point total, while 13 of Southern Illinois 24 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Ramblers have a significant advantage. They are 23-5 SU and 17-7 ATS, while the Salukis are 19-10 SU and 10-12-2 ATS.
Custer has really been playing well over the last five games for Loyola Chicago, averaging 18.6 points, 3.4 assists and 1.4 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 144 points, which was over the projected point total of 135. The Ramblers won 79-65, covering as 8-point favorites. The Ramblers played a nearly perfect game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.396 and a phenomenal effective field goal percentage of 0.625. The Salukis put up marks of 0.268 and 0.446, respectively, for those same stats. In the victory, Donte Ingram led all scorers with 25 points.
Loyola Chicago Ramblers at Southern Illinois Salukis Prediction
Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Loyola Chicago, ATS Winner – Southern Illinois, O/U – Over
- The Salukis rank 26th in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while the Ramblers rank 86th (3.2).
- Southern Illinois ranks 270th in three pointers attempted per game (18.1) while Loyola Chicago ranks 273rd (17.9).
- On the road, Loyola Chicago is 10-3 ATS with 8 unders and 5 overs.
- Southern Illinois is 5-5-1 ATS at home with 7 unders and 4 overs.
- Loyola Chicago ranks ninth in rebounds allowed per game (30.3) while Southern Illinois ranks 124th (34.1).
- The Salukis rank 32nd in steals per game (7.7) while the Ramblers rank 138th in steals allowed per game (6.5).
- Loyola Chicago ranks 48th in assists per game (15.7) while Southern Illinois ranks 115th (14.3).
- Southern Illinois is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Loyola Chicago is 4-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Salukis’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.0, up from 2.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Ramblers have scored an average of 80.0 points per game (6.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 68.0 points per game (4.3 above their season average).