The San Antonio Spurs (36-26), the leagues top scoring defense, will challenge the Los Angeles Lakers (27-34) at AT&T Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 9 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 3, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southwest.
Los Angeles Lakers at San Antonio Spurs Odds Preview
In the Lakers last game, they easily got past the Miami Heat, 131-113. Isaiah Thomas was the games leading scorer with 29 points on 11-for-20 shooting. The Lakers made 21 of their 26 free throws (80.8 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.696 (above their season average of 0.514).
The Spurs are trying to rebound after their 121-116 loss to the New Orleans Pelicans in their last contest. With 18 points, nine rebounds and five assists, Dejounte Murray had a good game for San Antonio. New Orleans did an excellent job of converting from the charity stripe (12-15; 80.0 percent). San Antonio, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 29.5 (above their season average of 23.5).
San Antonio should have the edge on the defensive side of the ball. The Spurs rank sixth in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.506), while Los Angeles is 17th in effective field goal percentage (0.516). It will also be a tale of two styles as the fast-paced Lakers rank first in possessions per game, while the slower-paced Spurs rank 30th.
Of Los Angeles 61 games, 34 have finished over the projected point total, while 32 of San Antonio’s 62 games have finished under the projected point total. The Spurs hold the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (36-26 vs. 27-34), but the Lakers have been better against the spread (ATS) (34-27 vs. 31-27-4).
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Lakers, it’s been Julius Randle, who has averaged 18.4 points, 10.0 rebounds and 4.6 assists, while the Spurs have gotten great contributions from Murray (12.6 points, 5.4 rebounds, 3.8 assists, 1.6 steals and 1.4 blocks).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 174 points, well under the projected point total of 212. The Lakers won 93-81, covering as 2-point underdogs. The Lakers dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 24.0 and a turnover percentage of 13.9. For those same stats, the Spurs put up marks of 16.7 and 19.5, respectively. Lonzo Ball recorded a double-double with 18 points and 10 rebounds.
Los Angeles Lakers at San Antonio Spurs Free Prediction
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Spurs, ATS Winner – Spurs, O/U – Over
- The Spurs rank 11th in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.6) while the Lakers rank 28th (18.9).
- Los Angeles ranks 19th in three pointers attempted per game (28.1) while San Antonio ranks 27th (24.4).
- San Antonio ranks 12th in second chance points per game (12.8) while Los Angeles ranks 29th in second chance points allowed per game (13.7).
- Los Angeles ranks sixth in assists per game (23.8) while San Antonio ranks eighth in assists allowed per game (21.4).
- On the road, Los Angeles is 17-15 ATS with 18 overs and 14 unders.
- San Antonio is 17-11-1 ATS at home with 16 overs and 13 unders.
- In games where they allow below 100 points, San Antonio is 24-10 and Los Angeles is 11-3.
- When scoring above 100 points, the Lakers are 24-21 and the Spurs are 29-8.
- The Spurs rank ninth in rebounds per game (44.3) while the Lakers rank 24th in rebounds allowed per game (44.9).
- San Antonio ranks second in blocks allowed per game (3.6) while Los Angeles ranks 25th (5.7).
- The Lakers rank first in points in the paint per game (53.4) while the Spurs rank 19th (43.2).
- The Lakers average 8.0 steals per game, which ranks 12th in the NBA. The Spurs rank 16th in steals allowed per game (7.8).
- Los Angeles ranks second in fast break points per game (17.4) while San Antonio ranks 20th (9.9).
- San Antonio is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Los Angeles is 5-0 ATS with 5 overs.
- The Spurs have been outscored by an average of 0.4 points in their last five games. On the season, San Antonio has defeated opponents by an average of 3.1 points.
- During their last five games, the Lakers have scored an average of 120.4 points per game (12.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 109.2 points per game (0.8 below their season average).