The Los Angeles Lakers (45-12) visit FedExForum to challenge the Memphis Grizzlies (28-31). The Lakers have won seven games in a row, while the Grizzlies are on a five-game skid. The game starts at 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 29, 2020, and will air on Fox Sports – Southeast.
Los Angeles Lakers vs. Memphis Grizzlies Betting Odds
The Lakers had no trouble getting past the Golden State Warriors in their last contest, 116-86, comfortably covering as 11-point favorites. The Grizzlies, meanwhile, were topped by the Sacramento Kings, 104-101, and were unable to cover as 12-point underdogs. The Los Angeles game finished 17 points under the projected point total of 219, while the Memphis game went 32 points under the projected point total of 237.
Los Angeles played a perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.207 (above their season average of 0.198) and a turnover percentage of 13.9 (worse than their season average of 12.9). Golden State was 0.113 and 23.6, respectively, for those same stats. Memphis, meanwhile, held Sacramento to an offensive rebounding percentage of 16.0 (below their season average of 21.8). Memphis rallied around Jonas Valanciunas, who put up 13 points and 25 rebounds. Anthony Davis had a solid performance for Los Angeles, finishing with 23 points and six rebounds.
In their three matchups this year, the Lakers have won all three. In their most recent game, the two teams combined to score 222 points, which was under the projected point total of 235. Los Angeles won 117-105, covering as an 11-point favorite. Getting to the free throw line was one of Los Angeles’ largest advantages. They made 40 trips to the line, while Memphis went 31 times. Davis recorded a double-double with 28 points and 13 rebounds.
Of the Lakers’ 57 games, 29 have finished under the total. Los Angeles heads into the game with records of 45-12 straight up (SU) and 31-25-1 against the spread (ATS).
There does not appear to be a trend for games involving the Grizzlies in regards to the total, as there has been an even split between games finishing over and under. Additionally, Memphis owns records of 28-31 SU and 30-27-1 ATS.
The offense of Memphis will go head-to-head against the elite defense of Los Angeles. The Grizzlies rank 19th in offensive efficiency, while the Lakers are third in defensive efficiency. The Lakers should have the advantage on that end of the court.
Los Angeles Lakers vs. Memphis Grizzlies Betting Pick
Free NBA Pick: SU Winner – Grizzlies, ATS Winner – Grizzlies, O/U – Under
- The Lakers average 53.8 points in the paint per game, which ranks second in the league. The Grizzlies rank 11th in points allowed in the paint per game (46.9).
- Los Angeles ranks third in points off turnovers per game (18.9) while Memphis ranks 27th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.5).
- The Lakers rank first in blocks allowed per game (3.8) while the Grizzlies rank 21st (5.4).
- Los Angeles averages 8.6 steals per game, which ranks third in the NBA. Memphis ranks 20th in steals allowed per game (7.9).
- Los Angeles ranks first in rebounds allowed per game (41.7) while Memphis ranks 14th (45.0).
- The Grizzlies rank fourth in fast break points per game (17.8) while the Lakers rank 28th in fast break points allowed per game (16.5).
- The Lakers rank sixth in assists per game (26.2) while the Grizzlies rank 21st in assists allowed per game (24.9).
- Los Angeles ranks second in second chance points per game (14.7) while Memphis ranks 25th in second chance points allowed per game (13.9).
- In games where they allow less than 100 points, Memphis is 4-0 and Los Angeles is 16-0.
- The Lakers are 41-11 when they reach the century mark, while the Grizzlies are 27-24.
- Los Angeles is 16-13 ATS on the road, while Memphis is 17-12 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 15 of the Grizzlies’ 29 home games, while 16 of the Lakers’ 29 road games have gone over.
- In their last five games, Los Angeles and Memphis have both had 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Lakers are 4-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Grizzlies are 1-4.
- The Lakers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 11.4, up from 7.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Grizzlies have scored an average of 108.0 points per game (4.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 122.8 points per game (7.6 above their season average).