The Los Angeles Lakers (5-8) will try to put an end to their five-game road losing streak in a matchup against the Phoenix Suns (5-9) at Talking Stick Resort Arena. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 227.5 points with Phoenix set as a 1.5-point favorite. Action starts at 9 p.m. ET on Monday, November 13, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Arizona.
Los Angeles Lakers vs. Phoenix Suns Free Preview
The Lakers fell to the Milwaukee Bucks in their last game, 98-90. Despite the loss, Los Angeles’ Lonzo Ball finished with 19 points, 13 assists and 12 rebounds. This gave him his zeroth triple-double this season. Milwaukee had a turnover percentage of 10.1 (better than their season average of 13.7). Los Angeles, meanwhile, had a free throw rate of 0.297 (above their season average of 0.202).
The last time the Suns played, they topped the Minnesota Timberwolves, 118-110. Phoenix rallied around Devin Booker, who recorded 35 points, nine rebounds and six assists. Phoenix’s 0.593 effective field goal percentage was their biggest advantage over Minnesota, who had a rate of 0.427. The Suns’ mark was above their season average of 0.482, while the Timberwolves’ was below their season average of 0.517.
There should be plenty of transition offense in this showdown that showcases two of the league’s more up-tempo teams. Phoenix ranks third in possessions per game (105.2) and Los Angeles is second (105.9).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Los Angeles games have gone under 61.5 percent of the time, while games including Phoenix have gone over 57.1 percent of the time. Both teams have middling straight up (SU) records (5-8 for Los Angeles; 5-9 for Phoenix), but the Lakers hold a slight edge against the spread (ATS). Los Angeles is 6-7 ATS, while the Suns are 6-8.
Julius Randle has been exceptional over the last five games for Los Angeles, averaging 11.4 points and 8.2 rebounds per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 262 points in that game, which was well over the projected point total of 220. The Lakers won 132-130, covering as 4-point underdogs. Los Angeles had a better turnover percentage (14.9 vs. 15.5). Phoenix, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (21.3 vs. 11.1). Ball put up a double-double in the victory with 29 points and 11 rebounds.
Los Angeles Lakers vs. Phoenix Suns Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Lakers, ATS Winner – Lakers, O/U – Under
- The Lakers rank 14th in assists per game (21.9) while the Suns rank 27th (18.1).
- Phoenix ranks 21st in points off turnovers per game (15.9) while Los Angeles ranks 28th in points off turnovers allowed per game (21.4).
- Phoenix ranks seventh in blocks per game (5.6) while Los Angeles ranks 18th in blocks allowed per game (4.9).
- Los Angeles averages 11.2 second chance points per game, which ranks 18th in the NBA. Phoenix ranks 19th in second chance points allowed per game (12.9).
- Los Angeles is 2-4 ATS on the road, while Phoenix is 3-5 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 4 of the Lakers’ 6 road games, while 4 of the Suns’ 8 home games have gone over.
- In games where they hold opponents below 100 points, Phoenix is 1-1 and Los Angeles is 2-2.
- The Lakers are 5-2 when they reach 100 points, while the Suns are 4-5.
- The Suns rank 19th in steals allowed per game (8.6) while the Lakers rank 26th (9.2).
- Los Angeles averages 54.6 points in the paint per game, which ranks first in the league. Phoenix ranks 24th in points allowed in the paint per game (50.0).
- The Lakers rank third in fast break points per game (14.5) while the Suns rank 26th in fast break points allowed per game (14.1).
- The Suns rank 22nd in three pointers attempted per game (25.7) while the Lakers rank 26th (23.5).
- Los Angeles averages 46.5 rebounds per game, which ranks fifth in the NBA. Phoenix ranks 26th in rebounds allowed per game (47.0).
- Phoenix is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Los Angeles is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Suns’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 8.4, down from 9.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Lakers have scored an average of 102.4 points per game (1.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 106.0 points per game (0.8 below their season average).