The Los Angeles Lakers (34-9) will travel to Madison Square Garden to go head-to-head with the New York Knicks (12-32). The Lakers opened as 10-point favorites. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 225 points and it is scheduled to start at 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 22, 2020.
Los Angeles Lakers vs. New York Knicks Betting Odds
In the Knicks’ previous game, they dismantled the Cleveland Cavaliers, 106-86, comfortably covering as 1.5-point favorites. The Lakers, on the other hand, were blown out by the Boston Celtics, 139-107, and were not able to cover as 2.5-point underdogs. The New York game finished 30.5 points under the projected point total of 222.5, while the Los Angeles game finished 19.5 points over the projected point total of 226.5.
The Knicks made 15 of their 17 free throws (88.2 percent) and held the Cavaliers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.399 (below their season average of 0.515). Los Angeles, meanwhile, did a terrific job of getting and making free throws (22-29; 75.9 percent). Julius Randle had a solid outing for New York with 19 points and nine rebounds. Meanwhile, Los Angeles rallied around LeBron James, who recorded 15 points, 13 assists and seven rebounds.
In their first matchup this season, James led the Lakers to a 117-87 victory. He scored a game-high 31 points. The two teams combined for 204 points, which was well under the projected point total of 223.5, and Los Angeles covered as a 14-point favorite. Converting at the free throw line was one of Los Angeles’ largest strengths. They were 18-21 (85.7 percent), while the Knicks were just 9-16 (56.3 percent).
Just over half of the Lakers’ games have finished under the O/U total. Los Angeles heads into the game with records of 34-9 straight up (SU) and 23-19-1 against the spread (ATS).
Of the Knicks’ 44 games, 26 have finished under the total. Moreover, New York is 12-32 SU and 21-22-1 ATS.
New York might struggle to score as they clash against one of the league’s best defenses. Los Angeles ranks third in defensive efficiency, while the Knicks rank 28th in offensive efficiency.
Lakers vs. Knicks Odds Pick
Free NBA Pick: SU Winner – Lakers, ATS Winner – Knicks, O/U – Under
- The Lakers rank 10th in three pointers allowed per game (32.5) while the Knicks rank 25th (35.1).
- Los Angeles ranks second in fast break points per game (17.9) while New York ranks 28th (10.2).
- The Lakers rank third in rebounds allowed per game (42.3) while the Knicks rank 24th (46.6).
- Los Angeles ranks first in blocks per game (7.3) while New York ranks 19th (4.6).
- Los Angeles ranks fourth in points off turnovers per game (18.5) while New York ranks 20th (16.4).
- The Lakers rank second in points in the paint per game (53.8) while the Knicks rank 26th (45.2).
- The Knicks rank third in steals allowed per game (6.8) while the Lakers rank 19th (8.0).
- Los Angeles averages 14.6 second chance points per game, which ranks fourth in the NBA. New York ranks 13th in second chance points allowed per game (12.9).
- Los Angeles ranks sixth in assists per game (26.0) while New York ranks 29th (21.1).
- When allowing under 100 points, New York is 4-2 and Los Angeles is 14-0.
- The Lakers are 30-9 when they reach the century mark, while the Knicks are 11-20.
- New York is 9-11-1 ATS at home, while Los Angeles is 12-10 ATS on the road.
- In 22 road games, the Lakers have 12 overs and 10 unders.
- The Knicks have 14 unders and 7 overs in 21 home games.
- In their last five games, Los Angeles and New York are both 3-2 ATS.
- The Lakers have 5 overs over their last five games, while the Knicks have 4 unders and 1 over
- During their last five games, the Lakers have scored an average of 120.4 points per game (6.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 116.4 points per game (10.0 above their season average).
- The Knicks’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 5.8, down from 8.0 for the season.