The Los Angeles Kings, led by Anze Kopitar and Tyler Toffoli, are prepared to take the ice against Jonathan Huberdeau, Aleksander Barkov, and the Florida Panthers at the BB&T Center in an East-West tilt. The puck drops at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 16, and you will be able to view it live on Fox SportsNet Florida.
Los Angeles Kings vs. Florida Panthers Odds
Los Angeles (+165) is entering this one as the underdog to Florida (-190) and the Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 7 goals (-105 for the over, -115 for the under).
Florida is 24-21 straight up (SU) and has netted 1.1 units for moneyline bettors this year. That winning percentage, ranked third in the Atlantic Division so far in this young season, is a welcomed improvement compared to how the team performed during the 2018-19 season (36-46). Among its 45 games this season, 27 have gone over the total, while 15 have gone under and just three have pushed. The team’s 15-10 SU at home this year.
The Panthers have connected on 22.9 percent of their power play opportunities this season, a mark that places them in the top-10 among NHL teams. On the other hand, their penalty kill is ranked 21st overall, and they’ve successfully killed off 79.0 percent of all penalties.
Sporting a .896 save percentage and 26.3 saves per game, Sergei Bobrovsky (17-17-4) has been the most dependable option in goal for the Panthers this year. If head coach Joel Quenneville chooses to rest him, however, the team may turn to Chris Driedger (5-3-3 record, .931 save percentage, 2.40 goals against average).
On the visiting bench, Los Angeles is 18-30 straight up (SU) and has lost 7.0 units for bettors taking the moneyline this year. A total of 26 of its matches have gone under the total, while 20 have gone over and just two have pushed. The Kings are 7-19 SU as an away team this season.
The Kings have converted on just 15.5 percent of their power play chances this year, a figure that places them in the bottom-10 overall among NHL teams. On the other hand, its penalty kill unit is ranked 27th overall and it’s successfully defended 75.4 percent of all opponent power plays.
Jonathan Quick (.896 save percentage and 3.01 goals against average) has been the main option in goal for Los Angeles. Quick is averaging 25.8 saves per game and owns an 11-20-3 record.
Los Angeles Kings at Florida Panthers Betting Predictions
Prediction: SU Winner – Kings, O/U – Under
- The Panthers (3-3 in shootouts this season) has more experience in games decided by shootout. The Kings is winless in two shootouts this year.
- For both of these teams, the game went over the total in three of their past five outings.
- This game features two clubs that force a lot of shots on goal. Los Angeles has taken the league’s sixth-most shots on goal (33.6) while Florida has attempted the seventh-most (33.6). The Kings have averaged 38.8 shot attempts over their last five home games while the Panthers have taken 36.2 shots over their last five home outings.
- Over Los Angeles’ last ten games, six of them have been decided by two or more goals (the team is 2-4 in those games).
- Los Angeles skaters recorded 23.3 hits per game last season, while the Panthers forced 23.2 hits per contest.