The Miami Heat (14-14) will be at home in AmericanAirlines Arena when they meet the Los Angeles Clippers (11-16). Miami is a 6-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 205.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 16, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports Sun.
Los Angeles Clippers vs. Miami Heat Betting Preview
In the Clippers last game, they fell to the Washington Wizards, 100-91. Los Angeles DeAndre Jordan had a good performance, contributing 12 points and 16 rebounds. Washington held the Clippers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.429 (below their season average of 0.512). Los Angeles, meanwhile, had a better free throw rate (0.212 vs. 0.170).
The Heat come in on a high note after defeating the Charlotte Hornets in their last contest, 104-98. James Johnson played a pivotal role for Miami with 11 points, five rebounds and five assists. Miami’s 0.571 effective field goal percentage was their largest strength over Charlotte, who had a rate of 0.470. The Heat’s mark was above their season average of 0.527.
The sharp-shooting offense of Miami (eighth in the league with an effective field goal percentage 0.528) will square off against the mid-tier defense of Los Angeles (20th in effective field goal percentage allowed 0.525). The Heat should have the edge on that side of the ball.
Of Los Angeles 26 games with betting action, 13 have finished under the projected point total, while 16 of Miami’s 27 games have finished under the O/U total. The Heat have the superior straight up (SU) record (14-14 vs. 11-16), but the Clippers hold the clear advantage against the spread (ATS) (12-14 vs. 10-15-2).
Jordan has really been playing well recently for Los Angeles, averaging 17.4 rebounds, 14.2 points and 1.4 blocks over the last five games.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 205 points in that game, hitting the projected point total. The Heat won 104-101, covering as 6-point underdogs. Miami’s 0.524 effective field goal percentage was its biggest strength over Los Angeles, who had a mark of 0.443. Hassan Whiteside put up a double-double in the victory with 21 points and 17 rebounds.
Los Angeles Clippers vs. Miami Heat Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Heat, ATS Winner – Clippers, O/U – Under
- The Clippers rank 10th in points in the paint per game (45.7) while the Heat rank 25th (40.4).
- Los Angeles ranks 15th in rebounds per game (43.6) while Miami ranks 25th (41.1).
- Miami ranks first in three pointers allowed per game (24.8) while Los Angeles ranks 14th (28.4).
- Los Angeles ranks 14th in points off turnovers per game (17.1) while Miami ranks 19th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.8).
- On the road, Los Angeles is 6-7 ATS with 8 unders and 5 overs.
- Miami is 2-8-2 ATS at home with 6 unders, 5 overs and 1 push.
- When holding opponents under 100 points, Miami is 10-3 and Los Angeles is 7-1.
- The Heat are 11-5 when they reach the century mark, while the Clippers are 9-11.
- The Heat average 5.0 blocks per game, which ranks 11th in the league. The Clippers rank 22nd in blocks allowed per game (5.2).
- Los Angeles ranks eighth in second chance points per game (13.9) while Miami ranks 29th (9.2).
- The Heat rank third in assists allowed per game (20.0) while the Clippers rank 21st (24.1).
- The Clippers average 8.0 steals per game, which ranks 12th in the NBA. The Heat rank 17th in steals allowed per game (8.2).
- Miami ranks fifth in fast break points allowed per game (9.0) while Los Angeles ranks 21st (12.6).
- Miami is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Los Angeles is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Heat have outscored opponents by an average of 4.8 points in their last five games. On the season, Miami has lost by an average of 2.1 points.
- During their last five games, the Clippers have scored an average of 102.6 points per game (1.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 102.2 points per game (4.3 below their season average).