A six-game home winning streak is on the line for the Boston Celtics (37-16), who will be 1-point favorites when they square off with the Los Angeles Clippers (37-17) at TD Garden. Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 13, 2020, and can be seen on TNT.
Los Angeles Clippers at Boston Celtics Betting Odds
Both teams fell in their last contest. The Celtics (2-point underdogs) were defeated by the Houston Rockets, 116-105, while the Clippers (2-point favorites) fell to the Philadelphia 76ers, 110-103. The Boston game went 11 points under the projected point total of 232, while the Los Angeles game went 11.5 points under the projected point total of 224.5.
Los Angeles was lights out from beyond the arc (14-31; 45.2 percent) while Boston held Houston to an offensive rebounding percentage of 11.6 (below their season average of 22.9). Gordon Hayward led the way for Boston, recording 20 points, eight rebounds and six assists. Los Angeles received a boost from Kawhi Leonard, who recorded 30 points and nine assists.
In their first matchup this year, Patrick Beverley led the Clippers to a 107-104 victory. He recorded a double-double with 14 points and 16 rebounds. Los Angeles was unable to cover as an 8-point favorite and the two teams combined to score 211 points, which was under the projected point total of 218.5. Los Angeles’ free throw rate was their largest strength over Boston. The Clippers had a rate of 0.129, while the Celtics posted a mark of 0.096.
Oddsmakers are known to set the total high when the Clippers are playing, as 30 of their 54 contests have gone under the total. Los Angeles comes into the contest with records of 37-17 straight up (SU) and 28-25-1 against the spread (ATS).
Similarly to Los Angeles, just over half of Celtics games have finished under the total. Moreover, Boston is 37-16 SU and 31-21-1 ATS.
There’s a decent chance that Los Angeles struggles to create turnovers. Boston ranks ninth in the NBA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 13.0 percent), while Los Angeles forces the 19th-most turnovers (13.4 percent). Additionally, the Clippers, who rank fourth in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.226), could get to the line a ton against the Celtics, who rank 21st in opponents’ FTA rate (0.211).
Los Angeles Clippers vs. Boston Celtics Free Pick
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Celtics, O/U – Under
- The Celtics rank fourth in assists allowed per game (22.5) while the Clippers rank 10th (23.8).
- Boston averages 8.3 steals per game, which ranks seventh in the league. Los Angeles ranks 22nd in steals allowed per game (8.0).
- The Celtics rank 15th in three pointers allowed per game (33.7) while the Clippers rank 26th (35.4).
- Los Angeles ranks third in rebounds per game (48.0) while Boston ranks 13th (45.6).
- Boston averages 18.1 points off turnovers per game, which ranks seventh in the NBA. Los Angeles ranks 13th in points off turnovers allowed per game (16.6).
- The Celtics average 15.2 fast break points per game, which ranks sixth in the NBA. The Clippers rank 21st in fast break points allowed per game (14.0).
- The Clippers rank sixth in second chance points per game (14.2) while the Celtics rank 14th in second chance points allowed per game (12.6).
- Boston ranks third in points allowed in the paint per game (42.8) while Los Angeles ranks seventh (44.9).
- Los Angeles averages 5.1 blocks per game, which ranks 12th in the NBA. Boston ranks 23rd in blocks allowed per game (5.4).
- Los Angeles is 14-0 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Boston is 12-2.
- When reaching the century mark, the Clippers are 35-12 and the Celtics are 36-10.
- Boston is 16-11 ATS at home, while Los Angeles is 13-14 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 16 of the Clippers’ 27 road games, while 14 of the Celtics’ 27 home games have gone over.
- In their last five games, Los Angeles and Boston are both 2-3 ATS.
- The Clippers have 3 unders and 2 overs over their last five games, while the Celtics have 3 overs and 2 unders
- The Clippers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.4, down from 5.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Celtics have scored an average of 113.6 points per game (1.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 109.8 points per game (4.1 above their season average).