The Memphis Grizzlies (9-23) will be at home in FedExForum when they challenge the Los Angeles Clippers (13-18). Memphis is a 4-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 196.5 points. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 23, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
Los Angeles Clippers at Memphis Grizzlies ATS Preview
In the Clippers last matchup, they defeated the Houston Rockets, 128-118. Austin Rivers led Los Angeles in scoring with 36 points on 11-for-25 shooting. The Clippers had an absurdly low turnover percentage of 7.1 (better than their season average of 13.1) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.571 (above their season average of 0.508).
The Grizzlies are hoping for a better outcome after their 97-95 loss to the Phoenix Suns in their last outing. Tyreke Evans led Memphis in scoring with 23 points on 9-for-21 shooting. Phoenix did a fantastic job of making free throws (21-27; 77.8 percent). Memphis, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 31.9 (above their season average of 20.1).
The physical Memphis offense might be getting to the foul line a lot in this meeting. The Grizzlies currently rank ninth in the league with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.208, while Los Angeles is among the leagues most foul-prone squads (giving up a 26th-ranked FTA rate of 0.220).
Of Los Angeles 30 games that accepted bets, 16 have finished under the O/U total, while 22 of Memphis 32 games have finished under the O/U total. The Clippers come into this game with a clear advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 13-18 SU and 15-15 ATS, while the Grizzlies are 9-23 SU and 10-21-1 ATS.
DeAndre Jordan has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Los Angeles, averaging 18.0 rebounds and 13.0 points per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 217 points, well over the projected point total of 200.5. The Grizzlies won 113-104, covering as 5-point underdogs. Memphis was lights out from beyond the arc (13-31; 41.9 percent). Los Angeles, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (33.3 vs. 24.3). Blake Griffin had a double-double in the loss with 30 points and 11 rebounds.
Los Angeles Clippers at Memphis Grizzlies Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Grizzlies, ATS Winner – Clippers, O/U – Under
- The Clippers rank 15th in rebounds per game (43.6) while the Grizzlies rank 28th (39.5).
- Memphis ranks third in points allowed in the paint per game (40.6) while Los Angeles ranks fourth (40.6).
- Memphis averages 5.1 blocks per game, which ranks eighth in the NBA. Los Angeles ranks 18th in blocks allowed per game (5.1).
- Los Angeles is 8-8 ATS on the road, while Memphis is 5-13 ATS at home.
- In 16 road games, the Clippers have 10 unders and 6 overs.
- Of the Grizzlies’ 18 home games, they have 14 unders and 4 overs.
- In games where they hold opponents below 100 points, Memphis is 7-7 and Los Angeles is 8-2.
- The Grizzlies are 4-6 when they reach 100 points, while the Clippers are 11-11.
- The Grizzlies rank 14th in points off turnovers per game (16.8) while the Clippers rank 17th in points off turnovers allowed per game (16.9).
- Los Angeles ranks sixth in second chance points per game (14.2) while Memphis ranks 26th (9.9).
- The Grizzlies average 13.5 fast break points per game, which ranks seventh in the NBA. The Clippers rank 26th in fast break points allowed per Memphis ranks fifth in assists allowed per game (20.8) while Los Angeles ranks 20th (23.6).
- Memphis is 1-4 ATS with 5 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Los Angeles is 4-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Grizzlies average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 5.6, up from 4.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Clippers have scored an average of 100.6 points per game (3.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 102.4 points per game (3.6 below their season average).