The Boston Celtics (40-18), the leagues top shooting defense, will square off with the Los Angeles Clippers (29-26) at TD Garden. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 209 points with Boston opening as a 5-point favorite. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 14, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN.
Los Angeles Clippers vs. Boston Celtics ATS Preview
The Clippers were victorious over the Brooklyn Nets in their last contest, 114-101. With 16 points and 17 rebounds, DeAndre Jordan played well for Los Angeles. Los Angeles played a nearly perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.141 (below their season average of 0.222) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.600 (above their season average of 0.522). For those same stats, Brooklyn was 0.079 and 0.528, respectively.
In the Celtics last game, they were defeated by the Cleveland Cavaliers, 121-99. Terry Rozier was Boston’s high scorer with 21 points on 6-for-15 shooting. Cleveland made 16 of their 30 three pointers (53.3 percent). Boston, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.5 (above their season average of 20.8).
Looking at effective field goal percentage, Boston figures to have a noteworthy edge. The Celtics defense ranks first in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.487), while the Los Angeles offense is ranked 12th in effective field goal percentage (0.523).
Of Los Angeles 55 games, 27 have finished over the O/U total, while 30 of Boston’s 58 games have finished under the O/U total. The Celtics have the significant advantage straight up (SU) (40-18 vs. 29-26), but both teams have comparable against the spread (ATS) records. Boston is 33-22-3, while Los Angeles is 30-24-1 ATS.
Danilo Gallinari has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Los Angeles, averaging 21.0 points and 5.6 rebounds per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 215 points in that game, which was just over the projected point total of 214. The Celtics won 113-102, covering as 4-point underdogs. The Celtics played a nearly perfect game. They had a turnover percentage of 11.2 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.0. The Clippers had marks of 16.5 and 21.3, respectively, for those same stats. Kyrie Irving was a standout player in the game, putting up 20 points, eight rebounds and seven assists.
Los Angeles Clippers vs. Boston Celtics Odds Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Clippers, O/U – Under
- The Celtics rank third in assists allowed per game (20.5) while the Clippers rank 20th (23.8).
- Boston ranks 11th in rebounds per game (44.3) while Los Angeles ranks 22nd in rebounds allowed per game (44.3).
- Boston ranks ninth in second chance points allowed per game (11.5) while Los Angeles ranks 25th (13.2).
- Los Angeles is 16-10-1 ATS on the road with 15 unders and 12 overs.
- Boston is 15-13-3 ATS at home with 16 unders and 15 overs.
- When allowing less than 100 points, Los Angeles is 11-2 and Boston is 26-3.
- In games where they score above 100 points, the Clippers are 27-17 and the Celtics are 29-7.
- The Celtics rank sixth in three pointers attempted per game (31.4) while the Clippers rank 20th in three pointers allowed per game (29.9).
- Los Angeles ranks third in points in the paint per game (49.5) while Boston ranks 29th (38.9).
- The Celtics rank fifth in fast break points allowed per game (9.9) while the Clippers rank 29th (14.5).
- The Celtics average 4.7 blocks per game, which ranks 15th in the NBA. The Clippers rank 22nd in blocks allowed per game (5.2).
- Boston ranks fourth in steals allowed per game (7.0) while Los Angeles ranks 23rd (8.3).
- Boston is 1-3-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Los Angeles is 3-2 ATS with 5 unders.
- The Celtics have been outscored by an average of 8.2 points in their last five games. For the season, Boston has defeated opponents by an average of 3.7 points.
- During their last five games, the Clippers have scored an average of 107.4 points per game (0.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 102.4 points per game (4.4 below their season average).