The Lamar Cardinals (8-8, 2-3 SthLnd) will be at Sharp Gymnasium to clash with the Houston Baptist Huskies (1-11, 1-2 SthLnd) in a SthLnd matchup. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 11, 2020.
Lamar Cardinals at Houston Baptist Huskies Betting Odds
Both teams fell in their last contest. The Huskies were blown out by the Northwestern State Demons, 106-79, while the Cardinals lost to the Nicholls Colonels, 61-52.
Lamar did a great job of making free throws (8-11; 72.7 percent) while Houston Baptist had a free throw rate of 0.646 (above their season average of 0.219). Noah Thomasson had a good outing for Houston Baptist, contributing 17 points. Meanwhile, T.J. Atwood played a pivotal role for Lamar with 11 points and 11 rebounds.
The Cardinals held the advantage in this series last year, securing victories in two out of three contests. In the most recent game, Lamar won 81-79. Lamar out-rebounded Houston Baptist. The Cardinals had 13 offensive rebounds and 43 total rebounds, while the Huskies had six and 28, respectively. This is the first time these teams will clash this year.
This could end up being an error-filled game for the Houston Baptist offense. Houston Baptist ranks 274th in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 21.0 percent), while the pesky defense of Lamar forces the 23rd-most turnovers in the nation (24.7 percent). Furthermore, the Cardinals could control the offensive glass in this contest as they rank 54th in the nation in offensive rebounding percentage at 33.4 percent. The Huskies, meanwhile, rank 338th in defensive rebounding percentage (64.6 percent).
Lamar vs. Houston Baptist Pick
Free Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Lamar, ATS Winner – Lamar, O/U – Over
- Lamar averages 9.7 steals per game, which ranks 11th in the nation. Houston Baptist ranks 196th in steals allowed per game (8.9).
- The Huskies rank 114th in three pointers attempted per game (22.9) while the Cardinals rank 253rd (17.2).
- Lamar ranks 146th in assists allowed per game (13.2) while Houston Baptist ranks 246th (21.7).
- The Cardinals rank 78th in rebounds per game (38.2) while the Huskies rank 251st in rebounds allowed per game (41.6).
- Lamar ranks 21st in blocks per game (5.4) while Houston Baptist ranks 187th (1.8).
- During their last five games, the Cardinals have scored an average of 65.6 points per game (3.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 68.4 points per game (3.0 above their season average).
- The Huskies’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 16.4, down from 22.4 for the season.