The Stanford Cardinal (6-6) and the No. 14 Kansas Jayhawks (9-2) battle at Golden 1 Center. Kansas opened as a 15.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 148 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 12 a.m. ET on Thursday, December 21, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Kansas Jayhawks vs. Stanford Cardinal Betting Preview,
In the Jayhawks last game, they easily got past the Omaha Mavericks, 109-64. Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk was the games leading scorer with 26 points on 10-for-13 shooting. The Jayhawks had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 40.7 (above their season average of 29.6) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.739 (above their season average of 0.594).
The Cardinal hope to keep it rolling after beating the San Francisco Dons in their last contest, 71-59. Stanford received a boost from Reid Travis, who was the games leading scorer with 29 points on 11-for-18 shooting. The Cardinal had a great effective field goal percentage of 0.570 (above their season average of 0.516) and had an offensive rebounding percentage of 36.0 (above their season average of 30.1).
Stanford does a solid job at getting to the charity stripe. They rank 12th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.328), but Kansas is among the best in the NCAA at keeping opponents off the line (ranking 24th by allowing a FTA rate of 0.171). Ball security should be an advantage for the Jayhawks. They rank 38th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.7 percent). Conversely, the Cardinal force the 46th-fewest turnovers in the NCAA (opponents turnover percentage of 17.1 percent).
Both of these teams have typically finished under the O/U total. Games featuring Kansas have gone under 60.0 percent of the time, while Stanford games have finished under 66.7 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Jayhawks have a substantial advantage. They are 9-2 SU and 6-4 ATS, while the Cardinal are 6-6 SU and 3-8-1 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Jayhawks won the only game last season, 89-74. Kansas made 12 of their 22 three pointers (54.5 percent), while Stanford was 2-8 (25.0 percent).
Kansas Jayhawks vs. Stanford Cardinal Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Kansas, ATS Winner – Kansas, O/U – Under
- The Jayhawks rank 45th in blocks per game (4.8) while the Cardinal rank 119th (3.3).
- Kansas averages 39.1 rebounds per game, which ranks 57th in the NCAA. Stanford ranks 69th in rebounds allowed per game (32.9).
- Kansas ranks 36th in three pointers attempted per game (26.6) while Stanford ranks 235th (18.4).
- The Jayhawks rank third in assists per game (20.5) while the Cardinal rank 164th (13.1).
- Kansas ranks 42nd in steals per game (8.0) while Stanford ranks 157th (5.5).
- Stanford is 2-2-1 ATS with 5 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Kansas is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Cardinal’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.8, up from 0.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Jayhawks have scored an average of 81.6 points per game (7.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 73.0 points per game (6.3 above their season average).