A 16-game home winning streak hangs in the balance for the No. 6 Texas Tech Red Raiders (22-6, 10-5 Big 12) when they welcome the No. 8 Kansas Jayhawks (22-6, 11-4 Big 12) to United Supermarkets Arena. Tip-off is scheduled for 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 24, 2018.
Kansas Jayhawks vs. Texas Tech Red Raiders Free Preview
The last time the Jayhawks played, they easily got past the Oklahoma Sooners, 104-74. Devonte Graham was the top scorer from either team with 23 points on 8-for-17 shooting. Kansas played a nearly perfect game. They had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 40.0 (above their season average of 28.6) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.734 (above their season average of 0.570). Oklahoma was 26.3 and 0.500, respectively, for those same stats.
The Red Raiders are trying to rebound after their 79-71 loss to the Oklahoma State Cowboys in their last matchup. With 15 points and six rebounds, Jarrett Culver had a solid game for Texas Tech. Oklahoma State did a great job of converting from the free throw line (20-25; 80.0 percent). Texas Tech, on the other hand, forced the Cowboys into a turnover percentage of 23.0 (above their season average of 16.0).
Texas Tech could dominate the offensive glass in this matchup. The Red Raiders are among the nations elite on the offensive glass, ranking 59th in offensive rebounding percentage at 33.2 percent. Meanwhile, Kansas ranks 285th in the NCAA at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 68.7 percent. Moreover, the 15th-ranked offense of the Jayhawks (offensive efficiency of 117.1) will clash against the fourth-ranked defense of the Red Raiders (defensive efficiency of 91.2).
Zhaire Smith has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Texas Tech, averaging 14.4 points, 1.4 steals and 1.4 blocks per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Red Raiders won 85-73. The Red Raiders dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 46.2 and a turnover percentage of 11.4. The Jayhawks were 23.5 and 18.7, respectively, for those same stats. Despite the loss, Graham was the games leading scorer with 27 points.
Kansas Jayhawks at Texas Tech Red Raiders Odds Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Kansas, ATS Winner – Kansas, O/U – Under
- The Red Raiders average 4.3 blocks per game, which ranks 46th in the NCAA. The Jayhawks rank 117th in blocks allowed per game (3.5).
- Texas Tech ranks 20th in steals per game (8.0) while Kansas ranks 84th (6.8).
- Kansas ranks 41st in three pointers attempted per game (25.8) while Texas Tech ranks 238th (19.4).
- The Red Raiders rank 34th in rebounds allowed per game (31.7) while the Jayhawks rank 188th (35.6).
- Texas Tech ranks 10th in assists allowed per game (10.1) while Kansas ranks 104th (12.8).
- The Red Raiders average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.4, down from 12.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Jayhawks have scored an average of 79.8 points per game (2.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 72.8 points per game (2.0 above their season average).