Expect a shootout when the fifth-ranked Kansas Jayhawks (12-1, 1-0 Big 12) clash with the Iowa State Cyclones (11-2, 1-0 Big 12) at James H. Hilton Coliseum. The game starts at 5 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 5, 2019, and will air on ESPN2.
Kansas Jayhawks vs. Iowa State Cyclones ATS Odds
Both teams were triumphant in their last game. The Cyclones dismantled the Alabama State Hornets 79-53, while the Jayhawks were victorious over the 10th-ranked Michigan State Spartans 92-87.
The Jayhawks had a much better turnover percentage (11.6 vs. 19.5) and had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (28.3 vs. 19.4). Meanwhile, Iowa State dominated every facet of their game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 36.1 and a turnover percentage of 16.7. Alabama State had marks of 23.7 and 25.2, respectively, for those same stats. Michael Jacobson had a solid performance for Iowa State, putting up 17 points and seven rebounds. Meanwhile, Dedric Lawson played a pivotal role for Kansas with 20 points, 14 rebounds and six assists.
The Jayhawks dominated this series last year, securing victories in both contests. In the last matchup, Kansas won 83-77. The Jayhawks’ turnover percentage was their biggest advantage over the Cyclones. Kansas had a rate of 8.9, while Iowa State posted a mark of 14.9. This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Marial Shayok and Jacobson have played well over the last five games for Iowa State. Shayok has averaged 0 points, while Jacobson has put up 0 points a game during that span.
This battle pits one of the NCAA’s top offenses against one of its elite defenses. Iowa State currently ranks 11th in offensive efficiency and Kansas is 57th in defensive efficiency.
Kansas at Iowa State Pick
Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Iowa State, ATS Winner – Iowa State, O/U – Under
- Iowa State averages 24.9 three pointers per game, which ranks 73rd in the country. Kansas ranks 231st in three pointers allowed per game (26.5).
- The Cyclones average 37.8 rebounds per game, which ranks 81st in the country. The Jayhawks rank 157th in rebounds allowed per game (36.1).
- Iowa State is sixth in the country with 4.5 steals allowed per game while Kansas is 48th with 5.5 steals allowed per game.
- The Cyclones average 16.8 assists per game, which ranks 20th in the country. The Jayhawks rank 121st in assists allowed per game (13.2).
- Iowa State ranks 11th in blocks allowed per game (2.1) while Kansas ranks 97th (3.5).
- During their last five games, the Cyclones have scored an average of 78.0 points per game (4.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 64.8 points per game (0.0 above their season average).
- The Jayhawks’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.8, down from 11.5 for the season.