The Elon Phoenix (14-16, 6-11 CAA) and James Madison Dukes (9-21, 5-12 CAA) will clash at Alumni Gym to wrap up the regular season. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 142.5 points with Elon opening as a 3-point favorite. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Monday, February 26, 2018.
James Madison Dukes vs. Elon Phoenix ATS Preview
The Dukes lost a tough one against the Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens in their last matchup, 68-66. James Madison’s Darius Banks contributed 20 points and six rebounds in the game. Delaware had a much better free throw rate (0.208 vs. 0.095). James Madison, on the other hand, held the Fightin’ Blue Hens to an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.2 (below their season average of 28.2).
In the Phoenix’s last game, they were beaten by the Northeastern Huskies, 81-59. Brian Dawkins was Elon’s high scorer with 13 points on 5-for-10 shooting. Northeastern did a great job of making free throws (16-18; 88.9 percent). Elon, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 27.8 (above their season average of 22.0).
Getting to the line could be few and far between for James Madison in this matchup. The Dukes currently rank 130th in the nation with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.249, while Elon ranks first in FTA rate allowed (0.146).
Of James Madison’s 28 games that accepted bets, 16 have finished over the O/U total, while 14 of Elon’s 26 games have finished over the O/U total. The Phoenix have the superior straight up (SU) record (14-16 vs. 9-21), but the Dukes hold the substantial advantage against the spread (ATS) (14-13-1 vs. 8-18).
Matt Lewis has been playing at a high level over the last five games for James Madison, averaging 20.2 points per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 159 points, which was over the projected point total of 144.5. The Dukes won 85-74, covering as 1-point underdogs. The Dukes played a nearly perfect game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 24.3 and a solid free throw rate of 0.302. For those same stats, the Phoenix were 13.2 and 0.183, respectively. Despite the loss, Dainan Swoope was a standout player in the game, putting up 20 points and eight rebounds.
James Madison Dukes vs. Elon Phoenix Betting Prediction
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – James Madison, ATS Winner – James Madison, O/U – Under
- The Dukes average 35.6 rebounds per game, which ranks 140th in the NCAA. The Phoenix rank 272nd in rebounds allowed per game (38.6).
- Elon is 5-5 ATS at home, while James Madison is 9-5-1 ATS on the road.
- The Dukes have 8 overs and 7 unders in 15 road games.
- The Phoenix have 5 overs and 5 unders in 10 home games.
- James Madison ranks 52nd in steals per game (7.3) while Elon ranks 236th (4.4).
- The Phoenix rank fourth in three pointers attempted per game (30.0) while the Dukes rank 159th (21.6).
- Elon averages 15.6 assists per game, which ranks 53rd in the nation. James Madison ranks 191st in assists allowed per game (14.3).
- Elon is 0-5 ATS with 5 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, James Madison is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Phoenix’s average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 20.2, up from 2.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Dukes have scored an average of 67.2 points per game (5.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.6 points per game (4.7 below their season average).