The Jackson State Tigers (4-11, 1-1 SWAC) will be at David L. Whitney Gymnasium to go head-to-head against the Alcorn State Braves (5-8, 1-1 SWAC) in a SWAC matchup. The game begins at 6:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 11, 2020.
Jackson State Tigers vs. Alcorn State Braves Betting Odds
In their last outing, the Braves beat the Texas Southern Tigers, 95-80, while the Tigers fell to the Alabama A&M Bulldogs, 66-57.
The Braves knocked down 24 of their 26 free throws (92.3 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.634 (above their season average of 0.497). Jackson State, meanwhile, held Alabama A&M to an effective field goal percentage of 0.347 (below their season average of 0.435). Corey Tillery played well for Alcorn State with 26 points and five rebounds. Meanwhile, Tristan Jarrett led the way for Jackson State, recording 16 points and 12 rebounds.
This was a highly competitive series last year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Braves won the most recent matchup 66-52. One of Alcorn State’s largest strengths was their ability to convert at the free throw line. They were 14-16 (87.5 percent), while the Tigers were just 8-13 (61.5 percent). This is the first time these teams will meet this year.
This has potential to be a mistake-prone game for the offense of Alcorn State. Alcorn State ranks 242nd in the country in ball protection (turnover percentage of 20.4 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Jackson State forces the 17th-most turnovers in the nation (25.0 percent).
Jackson State Tigers vs. Alcorn State Braves Free Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Alcorn State, ATS Winner – Alcorn State, O/U – Under
- Alcorn State ranks 59th in rebounds per game (38.8) while Jackson State ranks 258th (31.4).
- The Braves average 13.8 assists per game, which ranks 104th in the nation. The Tigers rank 171st in assists allowed per game (13.9).
- Alcorn State ranks 48th in blocks allowed per game (2.8) while Jackson State ranks 95th (3.4).
- The Braves rank 38th in three pointers attempted per game (26.7) while the Tigers rank 195th (19.9).
- Jackson State ranks 21st in steals per game (9.3) while Alcorn State ranks 152nd in steals allowed per game (7.4).
- The Tigers’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 10.0, up from 8.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Braves have scored an average of 80.2 points per game (8.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 79.0 points per game (9.5 above their season average).