The Appalachian State Mountaineers (2-0) and the Iowa State Cyclones (0-2) face off in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off at HTC Center. Tip-off is set for 5:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, November 16, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Iowa State Cyclones vs. Appalachian State Mountaineers Free Preview
The last time the Cyclones played, they lost big to the Milwaukee Panthers, 74-56. Zoran Talley had a good game for Iowa State, contributing eight points and nine rebounds. Milwaukee had a much better turnover percentage (13.8 vs. 24.9). Iowa State, on the other hand, did an excellent job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (21-28; 75.0 percent).
The Mountaineers hope to maintain momentum after dismantling the Bridgewater (VA) Eagles in their last matchup, 95-57. With 25 points on 7-for-11 shooting, Ronshad Shabazz was the games leading scorer. Appalachian State played a flawless game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.492 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 45.5. For those same stats, Bridgewater (VA) was 0.213 and 26.1, respectively.
Getting to the line could be hard to find for Appalachian State in this showdown. Dating back to last season, the Mountaineers rank 119th in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.262, while Iowa State ranks 16th in FTA rate allowed (0.185). Furthermore, put-back points figure to be tough to come by for the Cyclones. They rank 300th in the nation in offensive rebounding percentage at 25.5 percent, while the Mountaineers have been 54th-best on the defensive glass (defensive rebounding percentage of 74.1 percent).
Iowa State Cyclones vs. Appalachian State Mountaineers Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Iowa State, ATS Winner – Iowa State, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Mountaineers rank 118th in assists per game (14.3) while the Cyclones rank 214th in assists allowed per game (13.9).
- Iowa State averages 3.4 blocks per game, which ranks 139th in the nation. Appalachian State ranks 143rd in blocks allowed per game (3.4).
- Appalachian State averages 39.3 rebounds per game, which ranks 25th in the NCAA. Iowa State ranks 271st in rebounds allowed per game (38.0).
- The Mountaineers rank 20th in three pointers allowed per game (17.8) while the Cyclones rank 212th (22.2).
- Iowa State ranks 34th in steals per game (7.6) while Appalachian State ranks 158th (6.1).