It will be a meeting between two great offenses when the 24th-ranked Michigan State Spartans (18-9, 10-6 Big 10) square off with the 18th-ranked Iowa Hawkeyes (19-8, 10-6 Big 10) at Jack Breslin Student Events Center. The game will air on ESPN2 at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 25, 2020.
Iowa Hawkeyes at Michigan State Spartans Betting Odds
Both teams were victorious in their last game. The Spartans won big over the Nebraska Cornhuskers 86-65, while the Hawkeyes were victorious over the 25th-ranked Ohio State Buckeyes 85-76.
Iowa dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.327 (above their season average of 0.258) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.654 (above their season average of 0.516). Ohio State was 0.242 and 0.492, respectively, for those same stats. Michigan State, meanwhile, out-rebounded Nebraska. The Spartans had 16 offensive rebounds and 51 total rebounds, while the Cornhuskers had nine and 26, respectively. Michigan State’s Xavier Tillman played well, finishing with 10 points and 11 rebounds. Luka Garza played a key role for Iowa with 24 points and six rebounds.
The Spartans dominated this series last year, winning both games. In the most recent contest, Michigan State won 82-67. Michigan State’s 0.392 free throw rate was their biggest advantage over Iowa, who had a rate of 0.114. This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
This battle figures to be a shootout as two of the nation’s premier offenses square off. Michigan State currently ranks 43rd with 109.6 points per 100 possessions and Iowa is 17th (111.9). Furthermore, the Hawkeyes rank 60th in turnover percentage (17.2 percent), while the Spartans rank 333rd in opponents’ turnover percentage (16.3 percent).
Iowa vs. Michigan State Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Iowa, ATS Winner – Iowa, O/U – Under
- Michigan State averages 17.7 assists per game, which ranks third in the country. Iowa ranks 237th in assists allowed per game (15.0).
- The Spartans rank 145th in three pointers attempted per game (22.0) while the Hawkeyes rank 253rd in three pointers allowed per game (24.3).
- The Spartans average 41.3 rebounds per game, which ranks sixth in the NCAA. The Hawkeyes rank 147th in rebounds allowed per game (35.1).
- Michigan State averages 5.1 blocks per game, which ranks 13th in the country. Iowa ranks 147th in blocks allowed per game (3.7).
- The Hawkeyes have been outscored by an average of 2.4 points in their last five games. On the season, Iowa has defeated opponents by an average of 6.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Spartans have scored an average of 70.8 points per game (4.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.6 points per game (6.5 above their season average).