The Iona Gaels (10-13, 8-8 MAAC) will be at the Koessler Athletic Center to take on the Canisius Golden Griffins (10-17, 5-11 MAAC) in a MAAC matchup. The game gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 27, 2020.
Iona Gaels at Canisius Golden Griffins ATS Odds
Both teams won a close one over their last opponent. The Golden Griffins defeated the Manhattan Jaspers 57-56, while the Gaels beat the Rider Broncs 70-69.
The Gaels held the Broncs to an effective field goal percentage of 0.455 (below the 0.507 mark opponents have averaged against Iona this season). The Broncs had a free throw rate of 0.136 (below their season average of 0.253). The Golden Griffins, on the other hand, knocked down 16 of their 20 free throws (80.0 percent) and had a turnover percentage of 17.2 (better than their season average of 18.7). Majesty Brandon had a good game for Canisius, finishing with 20 points. Iona rallied around E.J. Crawford, who had 22 points and nine rebounds.
In their first matchup this season, Tajuan Agee led the Gaels to a 69-66 win. He was the game’s leading scorer with 24 points. One of Iona’s biggest strengths was their ability to convert at the free throw line. They were 10-12 (83.3 percent), while the Golden Griffins were just 8-12 (66.7 percent).
It could be an error-filled game for the Iona offense. Iona ranks 273rd in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 20.4 percent), while the pesky defense of Canisius forces the 44th-most turnovers in the NCAA (22.2 percent).
Iona at Canisius Betting Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Iona, ATS Winner – Iona, O/U – Under
- Canisius averages 13.9 assists per game, which ranks 95th in the NCAA. Iona ranks 233rd in assists allowed per game (14.7).
- The Golden Griffins rank 231st in rebounds per game (33.6) while the Gaels rank 244th (33.2).
- Iona ranks 73rd in blocks per game (3.7) while Canisius ranks 77th in blocks allowed per game (3.0).
- The Gaels average 7.2 steals per game, which ranks 75th in the NCAA. The Golden Griffins rank 183rd in steals allowed per game (7.1).
- Iona averages 24.2 three pointers per game, which ranks 82nd in the NCAA. Canisius ranks 99th in three pointers allowed per game (20.5).
- During their last five games, the Gaels have scored an average of 74.0 points per game (4.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 63.0 points per game (8.2 below their season average).
- The Golden Griffins’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 3.6, up from 2.0 for the season.