Iona Gaels at Canisius Golden Griffins Betting Preview
The last time the Gaels played, they beat the Niagara Purple Eagles, 98-93. Roland Griffin was Iona’s high scorer with 20 points on 8-for-19 shooting. The Gaels made 26 of their 32 free throws (81.3 percent) and held the Purple Eagles to an effective field goal percentage of 0.413 (below their season average of 0.516).
The Golden Griffins come in on a high note after narrowly defeating the Rider Broncs in their last outing, 77-76. Canisius received a boost from Takal Molson, who recorded 18 points and 10 rebounds. Canisius 0.516 effective field goal percentage was their biggest strength over Rider, who had a rate of 0.492. The Golden Griffins mark was below their season average of 0.558.
When looking at effective field goal percentage, Canisius figures to have a substantial edge. The sharp-shooting Golden Griffins offense ranks 53rd in the NCAA in that metric at 0.555, while the Iona defense is ranked 220th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.511).
Games featuring these teams tend to finish under the O/U total. Iona games have finished under 55.6 percent of the time, while 75.0 percent of Canisius games have gone under. Both teams have very similar records straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS). The Gaels are 6-6 SU and 6-2-1 ATS, while the Golden Griffins are 7-7 SU and 7-4-1 ATS.
Deyshonee Much has really been playing well over the last five games for Iona, averaging 11.2 points and 3.4 assists per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the last contest, the Golden Griffins won 89-83. Canisius was lights out from beyond the arc (16-28; 57.1 percent). Iona, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (17.2 vs. 17.8).
Iona Gaels vs. Canisius Golden Griffins Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Iona, ATS Winner – Iona, O/U – Under
- The Gaels rank 167th in rebounds per game (35.2) while the Golden Griffins rank 233rd (33.0).
- Iona ranks 49th in steals allowed per game (5.4) while Canisius ranks 78th (5.9).
- Iona is 5-2-1 ATS on the road with 4 overs and 4 unders.
- At home, Canisius is 4-0-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- Canisius averages 16.5 assists per game, which ranks 46th in the nation. Iona ranks 169th in assists allowed per game (14.8).
- The Golden Griffins rank fifth in blocks allowed per game (1.9) while the Gaels rank 101st (3.5).
- Canisius ranks 19th in three pointers allowed per game (17.6) while Iona ranks 86th (20.9).
- Canisius is 1-1-1 ATS with 2 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Iona is 3-0-1 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- The Golden Griffins average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.2, up from 1.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Gaels have scored an average of 79.2 points per game (1.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 75.4 points per game (1.8 below their season average).