The Iona Gaels (6-10, 4-1 MAAC) will be at the OceanFirst Bank Center to clash against the Monmouth Hawks (5-14, 4-2 MAAC) in a MAAC matchup. The game can be seen on ESPN 3 at 1 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 20, 2019.
Iona Gaels at Monmouth Hawks Betting Odds
Both teams were victorious over their last opponent. The Hawks defeated the Fairfield Stags 74-57, while the Gaels beat the Marist Red Foxes 90-77.
Iona dominated every stat category in the game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.429 (above their season average of 0.279) and a turnover percentage of 11.8 (better than their season average of 16.9). For those same stats, Marist was 0.224 and 17.7, respectively. Meanwhile, Monmouth’s 0.358 free throw rate was their largest advantage over Fairfield, who had a mark of 0.161. The Hawks’ mark was above their season average of 0.263, while the Stags’ was below the 0.296 mark opponents have averaged against Monmouth this season. Monmouth received a boost from Diago Quinn, who finished with 15 points and eight rebounds. Meanwhile, Rickey McGill had a good outing for Iona, putting up 16 points, seven assists and five rebounds.
In their first matchup this year, McGill led the Gaels to a 103-84 win. He was the game’s top overall scorer with 29 points. One of Iona’s biggest advantages was getting to the free throw line. They had 34 free throw attempts, while Monmouth had 32.
The physical Monmouth offense seems poised to dominate from the foul line. The Hawks rank 85th in the country with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.268, while Iona ranks 192nd in FTA rate allowed (0.233). Furthermore, the sweet-shooting offense of the Gaels ranks 60th in effective field goal percentage (0.545), while the Hawks are 63rd-worst in the NCAA at effective field goal percentage allowed (0.531).
Iona Gaels at Monmouth Hawks ATS Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Iona, ATS Winner – Monmouth, O/U – Over
- Iona ranks 66th in three pointers attempted per game (25.5) while Monmouth ranks 266th (17.2).
- The Hawks rank 174th in rebounds allowed per game (36.0) while the Gaels rank 236th (38.0).
- The Gaels rank 106th in assists per game (14.2) while the Hawks rank 233rd (10.7).
- Iona ranks 48th in steals allowed per game (5.6) while Monmouth ranks 138th (7.1).
- The Gaels have outscored opponents by an average of 10.4 points in their last five games. On the season, Iona has been defeated by an average of 2.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Hawks have scored an average of 69.2 points per game (5.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 59.8 points per game (13.1 below their season average).