The NBA’s top scoring defense will be an 8-point favorite on the road at State Farm Arena, when the Indiana Pacers (22-12) clash with the Atlanta Hawks (9-23). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 217.5 points and it will air on Fox Sports – Southeast at 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 26, 2018.
Indiana Pacers at Atlanta Hawks Betting Odds
Both teams covered in their last matchup. The Hawks (9-point underdogs) defeated the Detroit Pistons 98-95, while the Pacers (10.5-point favorite) beat the Washington Wizards 105-89. The Atlanta game went 28.5 points under the projected point total of 221.5, while the Indiana game went 25.5 points under the projected point total of 219.5.
Indiana dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 34.0 (above their season average of 21.7) and a turnover percentage of 14.3 (worse than their season average of 13.2). For those same stats, Washington recorded marks of 12.8 and 20.1, respectively. Atlanta, on the other hand, played a nearly perfect game. They had a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 29.4 (above their season average of 22.6) and a free throw rate of 0.220 (above their season average of 0.200). Detroit had marks of 11.4 and 0.205, respectively, for those same stats. Atlanta’s Alex Len had a good game, putting up 15 points and 17 rebounds. Myles Turner, meanwhile played a pivotal role for Indiana with 18 points and 17 rebounds.
In their first matchup this year, Domantas Sabonis led the Pacers to a 97-89 victory. He produced 9 points, 16 rebounds and 6 assists. Indiana was unable to cover as a 12-point favorite and the two teams combined for 186 points, which was well under the projected point total of 219. Indiana’s rebounding was their biggest strength. The Pacers had more offensive rebounds (10 vs. five), defensive rebounds (43 vs. 36) and total rebounds (53 vs. 41).
Of the Pacers’ 34 games, 23 have gone under the projected point total. Indiana holds records of 22-12 straight up (SU) and 18-15-1 against the spread (ATS).
Contrary to Indiana, a little over half of Hawks games have finished over the total. Moreover, Atlanta is 9-23 SU and 14-18 ATS.
The Pacers’ Turner has been playing well over his last five games, averaging 14 points,9.4 rebounds,3.4 blocks per game. Meanwhile, Kent Bazemore has averaged 18 points,4.0 assists,1.6 steals during that same time frame for the Hawks.
Atlanta might struggle to find the bottom of the net as they face off against one of the NBA’s best defenses. Indiana currently ranks first in defensive efficiency, while the Hawks rank 29th in offensive efficiency.
Indiana Pacers vs. Atlanta Hawks ATS Pick
Free NBA Tip: SU Winner – Pacers, ATS Winner – Pacers, O/U – Under
- The Hawks average 5.71875 blocks per game, which ranks 7 in the NBA. The Pacers rank 20 in blocks allowed per game (5.4411764705882355).
- Indiana averages 9.0 steals per game, which ranks third in the NBA. Atlanta ranks 29th in steals allowed per game (10.5).
- The Hawks rank fourth in three pointers attempted per game (34.7) while the Pacers rank 28th (25.1).
- Indiana ranks seventh in assists allowed per game (22.8) while Atlanta ranks 29th (27.2).
- Atlanta averages 17.4375 fast break points per game, which ranks 4 in the NBA. Indiana ranks 20 in fast break points allowed per game (14.205882352941176).
- The Pacers rank fourth in points off turnovers per game (19.1) while the Hawks rank last in points off turnovers allowed per game (22.4).
- The Pacers rank 3 in rebounds allowed per game (42.529411764705884) while the Hawks rank 24 (46.09375).
- Indiana ranks 2 in points allowed in the paint per game (42) while Atlanta ranks 10 (46.8125).
- Indiana ranks second in second chance points allowed per game (11.4) while Atlanta ranks 28th (15.0).
- When allowing under 100 points, Atlanta is 2-2 and Indiana is 12-3.
- In games where they score above 100 points, the Hawks are 8-17 and the Pacers are 19-5.
- Atlanta is 5-9 ATS at home, while Indiana is 9-7-1 ATS on the road.
- The Pacers have 9 unders and 8 overs in 17 road games.
- The Hawks have 8 overs and 6 unders in 14 home games.
- In their last five games, Indiana and Atlanta are both 3-2 ATS.
- The Pacers have 4 unders and 1 over over their last five games, while the Hawks have 3 unders and 2 overs
- During their last five games, the Pacers have scored an average of 103.2 points per game (2.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 97.0 points per game (3.6 below their season average).
- The Hawks’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 4.0, down from 9.2 for the season.