The South Carolina Gamecocks (1-0) and the Illinois State Redbirds (0-1) go head-to-head in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off at HTC Center. South Carolina is a 9-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 140 points. Tip-off is set for 11:30 a.m. ET on Thursday, November 16, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Illinois State Redbirds vs. South Carolina Gamecocks Odds Preview
The last time the Redbirds played, they fell to the FGCU Eagles, 98-87. Keyshawn Evans had a solid performance for Illinois State, leading both teams in scoring with 28 points on 10-for-17 shooting. FGCU did a great job of converting from the charity stripe (27-37; 73.0 percent). Illinois State, on the other hand, made 14 of their 29 three pointers (48.3 percent).
The Gamecocks come in on a high note after blowing out the Western Michigan Broncos in their last outing, 78-60. South Carolina was lifted by Chris Silva, who put up 10 points and 10 rebounds. South Carolina dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 35.1 and a free throw rate of 0.298. For those same stats, Western Michigan was 19.5 and 0.224, respectively.
Points could be at a premium as a pair of the nation’s best defenses clash. Since last season, South Carolina ranks fifth in defensive efficiency (93.2) and Illinois State is 14th (94.8).
The Redbirds are 27-7 straight up (SU) and 18-16 against the spread (ATS) since last season. Games including Illinois State have had a tendency to go under the projected point total since last season (61.8 percent).
The Gamecocks, meanwhile, are 23-10 SU and 18-17-1 ATS since last season. Just over half of South Carolina’s games have finished under the projected point total over that same time frame.
Illinois State Redbirds vs. South Carolina Gamecocks Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – South Carolina, ATS Winner – South Carolina, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Redbirds average 36.6 rebounds per game, which ranks 115th in the NCAA. The Gamecocks rank 168th in rebounds allowed per game (35.2).
- South Carolina allows the sixth-fewest assists per game (9.9) while Illinois State ranks 32nd (11.2).
- Illinois State ranks 29th in blocks per game (4.9) while South Carolina ranks 207th in blocks allowed per game (3.9).
- The Gamecocks rank 42nd in three pointers allowed per game (18.6) while the Redbirds rank 179th (21.5).
- South Carolina ranks 32nd in steals per game (7.7) while Illinois State ranks 118th in steals allowed per game (5.9).