The undefeated third-ranked Maryland Terrapins (9-0) try to remain unbeaten when they take on the Illinois Fighting Illini (6-2) at Xfinity Center. The game will air on ESPN2 at 5 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 7, 2019.
Illinois Fighting Illini at Maryland Terrapins ATS Odds
In their last contest, the Terrapins dismantled the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, 72-51, while the Fighting Illini lost a tough one against the Miami (FL) Hurricanes, 81-79.
Maryland dominated every facet of the game. They had a superb turnover percentage of 8.7 (better than their season average of 14.2) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 28.6 (below their season average of 36.4). Notre Dame had marks of 12.9 and 20.0, respectively, for those same stats. Illinois, on the other hand, did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (17-23; 73.9 percent). Jalen Smith led the way for Maryland, finishing with 15 points, 16 rebounds and five blocks. Kofi Cockburn, meanwhile played a pivotal role for Illinois with 23 points.
The Fighting Illini won the lone game between these two teams last year, 78-67. The Fighting Illini’s 11.6 turnover percentage was their biggest strength over the Terrapins, who had a rate of 27.4.
The prolific offense of Maryland will square off against the mid-tier defense of Illinois. Dating back to the 2018-19 season, the Terrapins rank 62nd in offensive efficiency, while the Fighting Illini are 244th in defensive efficiency. The Terrapins should have the edge on that side of the ball.
Illinois at Maryland Free Pick
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Maryland, ATS Winner – Maryland, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2018-Present):
- Maryland ranks 13th in blocks per game (5.0) while Illinois ranks 208th (2.6).
- The Fighting Illini rank 67th in three pointers allowed per game (20.2) while the Terrapins rank 239th (23.7).
- Maryland averages 13.3 assists per game, which ranks 154th in the NCAA. Illinois ranks 190th in assists allowed per game (13.3).
- The Fighting Illini rank 87th in steals per game (7.1) while the Terrapins rank 276th (4.7).
- Maryland ranks 17th in rebounds per game (40.0) while Illinois ranks 194th (35.1).