The Washington Wizards (19-16) will be at home in Capital One Arena when they challenge the Houston Rockets (25-8). Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Friday, December 29, 2017, and it can be seen on NBATV.
Houston Rockets at Washington Wizards Betting Preview
The Rockets lost a close one to the Boston Celtics in their last matchup, 99-98. Houston’s James Harden had a good performance, leading both teams in scoring with 34 points on 7-for-27 shooting. Boston held the Rockets to an offensive rebounding percentage of 17.1 (below their season average of 22.1). Houston, meanwhile, did a terrific job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (24-31; 77.4 percent).
In the Wizards last game, they were topped by the Atlanta Hawks, 113-99. Bradley Beal was Washington’s high scorer with 20 points on 7-for-19 shooting. Atlanta had an offensive rebounding percentage of 34.0 (above their season average of 21.4). Washington, meanwhile, did a terrific job of getting and making free throws (20-26; 76.9 percent).
Second-chance points might be few and far between for Washington in this contest. The Wizards rank 15th in offensive rebounding percentage (22.5 percent), while Houston ranks third in defensive rebounding percentage (81.1 percent). Furthermore, the Rockets rank first in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.252), while the Wizards rank 23rd in opponents FTA rate (0.214).
Of Houston’s 32 games that accepted bets, 17 have finished over the O/U total, while 23 of Washington’s 35 games have finished under the O/U total. The Rockets have the clear advantage straight up (SU) (25-8 vs. 19-16), but both teams are right around the .500 mark against the spread (ATS).
Eric Gordon has been playing at a high level recently for Houston, averaging 23.6 points over the last five games.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year. The Rockets won both contests played against each other last season. In the most recent game, Houston won 101-91. The Rockets dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.174 and a turnover percentage of 12.0. For those same stats, the Wizards put up marks of 0.103 and 15.6, respectively.
Houston Rockets vs. Washington Wizards ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Wizards, ATS Winner – Wizards, O/U – Over
- The Wizards rank third in steals allowed per game (6.7) while the Rockets rank 16th (8.0).
- Houston averages 11.9 second chance points per game, which ranks 17th in the league. Washington ranks 21st in second chance points allowed per game (13.3).
- Washington ranks 17th in points allowed in the paint per game (44.4) while Houston ranks 26th (46.7).
- Houston is 9-5 ATS on the road, while Washington is 6-10 ATS at home.
- The Rockets have 8 unders and 6 overs in 14 road games.
- In 16 home games, the Wizards have 9 unders and 7 overs.
- In games where they hold opponents below 100 points, Houston is 11-2 and Washington is 13-1.
- In games where they score more than 100 points, the Rockets are 25-5 and the Wizards are 16-7.
- The Wizards rank 13th in fast break points per game (10.9) while the Rockets rank 22nd in fast break points allowed per game (12.3).
- Houston ranks first in rebounds allowed per game (40.7) while Washington ranks 23rd (44.3).
- The Rockets rank first in three pointers attempted per game (42.9) while the Wizards rank 21st (26.1).
- Washington ranks fifth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.7) while Houston ranks 23rd (18.4).
- Washington is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Houston is 1-4 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Wizards have been outscored by an average of 0.8 points in their last five games. For the season, Washington has defeated opponents by an average of 1.8 points.
- During their last five games, the Rockets have scored an average of 111.8 points per game (2.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 112.0 points per game (6.6 above their season average).