The Houston Rockets (26-9), the leagues top scoring team, will clash against the Orlando Magic (12-26) at Amway Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 220 points with Houston opening as an 8-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018, and it can be seen on ATTSN Southwest.
Houston Rockets vs. Orlando Magic Odds Preview
The Rockets beat the Los Angeles Lakers in their last contest, 148-142. James Harden was the top scorer from either team with 40 points on 10-for-20 shooting. The Rockets had a fantastically low turnover percentage of 8.2 (better than their season average of 13.5) and had a free throw rate of 0.302 (above their season average of 0.249).
The last time the Magic played, they were beaten by the Brooklyn Nets, 98-95. With 13 points and 17 rebounds, Orlando’s Bismack Biyombo played well. Brooklyn held the Magic to an effective field goal percentage of 0.396 (below their season average of 0.521). Orlando, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 31.1 (above their season average of 19.0).
Second-chance points might be hard to find for Orlando in this showdown. The Magic rank 28th in offensive rebounding percentage (19.4 percent), while Houston ranks third in defensive rebounding percentage (80.4 percent). Also, the Rockets top-ranked offense (offensive efficiency of 113.5) will face off against the Magic’s 27th-ranked defense (defensive efficiency of 108.8).
Of Houston’s 35 games, 18 have finished over the O/U total, while 20 of Orlando’s 38 games have finished under the O/U total. The Rockets come into this game with much better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 26-9 SU and 16-18-1 ATS, while the Magic are 12-26 SU and 13-24-1 ATS.
Elfrid Payton has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Orlando, averaging 18.8 points, 8.6 assists, 5.6 rebounds and 1.2 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year. The Rockets won both contests played against each other last season. In the last matchup, Houston won 128-104. The Rockets dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.270 and a great turnover percentage of 8.7. For those same stats, the Magic put up marks of 0.159 and 14.2, respectively.
Houston Rockets vs. Orlando Magic Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Rockets, O/U – Under
- The Rockets rank first in three pointers attempted per game (43.3) while the Magic rank 15th (29.2).
- Orlando averages 11.5 fast break points per game, which ranks 11th in the NBA. Houston ranks 22nd in fast break points allowed per game (12.5).
- Orlando ranks 12th in points in the paint per game (45.2) while Houston ranks 26th in points allowed in the paint per game (47.7).
- Orlando ranks 12th in blocks per game (4.8) while Houston ranks 15th in blocks allowed per game (4.9).
- Houston is 9-7 ATS on the road, while Orlando is 5-12 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 10 of the Magic’s 17 home games, while 9 of the Rockets 16 road games have gone under.
- Houston is 11-2 when they allow under 100 points, while Orlando is 6-3.
- The Magic are 12-13 when they score above 100 points, while the Rockets are 26-6.
- The Rockets rank 14th in assists allowed per game (22.1) while the Magic rank 28th (24.7).
- Houston ranks fourth in rebounds allowed per game (41.2) while Orlando ranks 29th (46.5).
- The Rockets rank fourth in points off turnovers per game (18.6) while the Magic rank 23rd (15.3).
- The Rockets rank 15th in second chance points per game (12.0) while the Magic rank 25th (10.3).
- Houston ranks third in steals per game (9.1) while Orlando ranks 21st (7.3).
- Orlando is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Houston is 0-5 ATS with 2 overs, 2 unders and 1 push.
- The Magic’s average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 8.2, up from 5.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Rockets have scored an average of 114.8 points per game (0.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 120.4 points per game (13.5 above their season average).