The New York Knicks (3-3) will be at home in Madison Square Garden when they square off with the Houston Rockets (5-3). Houston opened as a 5-point favorite while the game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 212 points. Action gets underway at at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, November 1, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN.
Houston Rockets at New York Knicks Free Preview
The Rockets were beaten by the Philadelphia 76ers, 115-107, in their last outing. Houston’s James Harden had a good performance, leading both teams in scoring with 29 points on 8-for-21 shooting. Philadelphia had an effective field goal percentage of 0.613 (above their season average of 0.506). Houston, on the other hand, did a terrific job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (28-38; 73.7 percent).
The Knicks come in on a high note after beating the Denver Nuggets, 116-110, in their last contest. With 38 points on 14-for-26 shooting, Kristaps Porzingis was the top scorer from either team. The Knicks had a great offensive rebounding percentage of 32.4 (above their season average of 29.1) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.579 (above their season average of 0.486).
The offensive glass should be a major edge for New York in this contest. The Knicks rank fifth in offensive rebounding percentage (26.8 percent), while Houston ranks 23rd in defensive rebounding percentage (75.8 percent) dating back to the 2016-17 season. Moreover, the third-ranked offense of the Rockets (offensive efficiency of 111.5) will face off against the 25th-ranked defense of the Knicks (defensive efficiency of 109.1).
Games involving these teams have a tendency to go under the O/U total. Houston games have gone under 75.0 percent of the time, while 66.7 percent of New York’s games have gone under. The Rockets hold the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (5-3 vs. 3-3), but the Knicks have been better against the spread (ATS) (3-3 vs. 3-5).
The Rockets won both matchups against the Knicks last season. In the last matchup, the Rockets won 118-99. The Rockets played a nearly flawless game. They had a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 41.3 and a solid effective field goal percentage of 0.556. For those same stats, the Knicks were 16.7 and 0.482, respectively.
Houston Rockets vs. New York Knicks Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Knicks, ATS Winner – Knicks, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Rockets rank fifth in fast break points per game (15.4) while the Knicks rank 26th (10.6).
- Houston averages 46.0 points in the paint per game, which ranks eighth in the league. New York ranks 24th in points allowed in the paint per game (45.8).
- New York averages 5.5 blocks per game, which ranks fifth in the league. Houston ranks 22nd in blocks allowed per game (5.2).
- New York ranks fifth in rebounds per game (45.3) while Houston ranks 20th in rebounds allowed per game (44.2).
- In games where they allow less than 100 points, New York is 15-2 and Houston is 23-1.
- When reaching the century mark, the Rockets are 64-27 and the Knicks are 29-32.
- The Rockets rank ninth in steals per game (8.1) while the Knicks rank 25th (7.1).
- Houston ranks third in points off turnovers per game (17.8) while New York ranks last (14.3).
- The Rockets average 40.4 three pointers per game, which ranks first in the league. The Knicks rank 23rd in three pointers allowed per game (28.6).
- The Knicks rank ninth in assists allowed per game (21.8) while the Rockets rank 25th (23.9).
- Houston ranks seventh in second chance points per game (14.3) while New York ranks 28th in second chance points allowed per game (14.5).