The Phoenix Suns (5-10) will be at home in Talking Stick Resort Arena when they take on the Houston Rockets (11-4). Action starts at 10:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, November 16, 2017, and it can be seen on TNT.
Houston Rockets vs. Phoenix Suns ATS Preview
The last time the Rockets played, they were beaten by the Toronto Raptors, 129-113. With 38 points on 8-for-25 shooting, James Harden was the top scorer from either team. Toronto had a better turnover percentage (11.8 vs. 16.4). Houston, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 31.1 (above their season average of 22.1).
The Suns are trying to rebound after their 100-93 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers in their last matchup. Devin Booker was the top scorer from either team with 36 points on 14-for-27 shooting. Los Angeles was lights out from beyond the arc (14-33; 42.4 percent). Phoenix, meanwhile, had a better free throw rate (0.126 vs. 0.087).
It will be a matchup of opposite paces as the fast-paced Suns will look to push the slower-paced Rockets. The Suns currently rank third in possessions per game while the Rockets are 14th. Additionally, the third-ranked offense of the Rockets (offensive efficiency of 110.7) will face off against the 27th-ranked defense of the Suns (defensive efficiency of 108.8).
Of Houstons 15 games, eight have finished under the O/U total, while 8 of Phoenixs 15 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Rockets have a clear advantage. They are 11-4 SU and 8-7 ATS, while the Suns are 5-10 SU and 6-9 ATS.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Rockets, its been Harden, who has averaged 36.8 points, 12.0 assists and 2.0 steals, while the Suns have received great contributions from T.J. Warren (21.6 points and 5.4 rebounds).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Rockets won all four meetings last season. In the last game, Houston won 123-116. The Rockets turnover percentage was their largest strength over the Suns. Houston had a rate of 12.0, while Phoenix posted a mark of 16.9.
Houston Rockets at Phoenix Suns Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Rockets, O/U – Under
- The Rockets rank third in second chance points allowed per game (9.3) while the Suns rank 18th (12.7).
- Houston averages 17.5 points off turnovers per game, which ranks 14th in the league. Phoenix ranks 23rd in points off turnovers allowed per game (19.1).
- Houston averages 10.5 fast break points per game, which ranks 13th in the league. Phoenix ranks 28th in fast break points allowed per game (13.9).
- Houston averages 40.8 points in the paint per game, which ranks 21st in the NBA. Phoenix ranks 24th in points allowed in the paint per game (49.6).
- Houston is 5-3 ATS on the road, while Phoenix is 3-6 ATS at home.
- The Rockets have 5 unders and 3 overs in 8 road games.
- The Suns have 5 unders and 4 overs in 9 home games.
- In games where they hold opponents below 100 points, Phoenix is 1-1 and Houston is 5-1.
- The Rockets are 11-2 when they score over 100 points, while the Suns are 4-5.
- The Rockets rank 14th in assists per game (21.7) while the Suns rank 28th (17.9).
- Houston ranks first in rebounds allowed per game (40.0) while Phoenix ranks 28th (47.3).
- The Rockets rank fifth in steals per game (8.9) while the Suns rank 25th (6.9).
- The Rockets average 4.8 blocks per game, which ranks 13th in the league. The Suns rank 16th in blocks allowed per game (4.9).
- Houston ranks first in three pointers attempted per game (44.5) while Phoenix ranks 20th (25.7).
- Phoenix is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Houston is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Suns’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 6.4, down from 9.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Rockets have scored an average of 119.2 points per game (8.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 108.6 points per game (4.0 above their season average).