The league’s top scoring team will be 8-point favorites on the road at State Farm Arena, when the Houston Rockets (24-11) go head-to-head with the Atlanta Hawks (8-29). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 235.5 points and it will air on ATTSN Southwest at 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 8, 2020.
Houston Rockets at Atlanta Hawks ATS Odds
The last time the Rockets played, they defeated the Philadelphia 76ers, 118-108, covering as 3-point favorites. The Hawks, on the other hand, were beaten by the Denver Nuggets, 123-115, and failed to cover as 7-point underdogs. Both games finished over their projected point totals. The Houston game finished 1 point over the projected point total of 225, while the Atlanta game went 13.5 points over the projected point total of 224.5.
The Rockets knocked down 24 of their 32 free throws (75.0 percent) and had a better effective field goal percentage (0.547 vs. 0.489). Atlanta, on the other hand, did a terrific job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (27-32; 84.4 percent). Trae Young played a pivotal role for Atlanta with 29 points and 12 assists. Houston rallied around James Harden, who notched his zeroth triple-double this season. He dominated, racking up 44 points, 11 rebounds and 11 assists.
In their first matchup this season, Harden led the Rockets to a 158-111 win. He scored a game-high 60 points. Houston covered as a 14-point favorite and the two teams combined to score 269 points, which was well over the projected point total of 238.5. Houston out-rebounded Atlanta. The Rockets had 13 offensive rebounds and 52 total rebounds, while the Hawks had eight and 29, respectively.
Rockets games have a slight tendency to go under the projected point total (54.3 percent). Houston holds records of 24-11 straight up (SU) and 19-16 against the spread (ATS).
In opposition of Houston, just over half of Hawks games have finished over the total. Further, Atlanta is 8-29 SU and 16-21 ATS.
There could be plenty of transition action in this contest that features a pair of the NBA’s more up-tempo teams. Atlanta currently ranks third in possessions per game (106.0) and Houston is second (106.2). Also, the Rockets rank third in offensive efficiency (112.4), while the Hawks rank 27th in defensive efficiency (111.4).
Rockets vs. Hawks ATS Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Rockets, O/U – Under
- The Rockets average 14.8 fast break points per game, which ranks eighth in the league. The Hawks rank 21st in fast break points allowed per game (14.0).
- Houston ranks fifth in rebounds per game (47.1) while Atlanta ranks last (42.0).
- The Hawks rank seventh in three pointers allowed per game (32.1) while the Rockets rank 27th (35.7).
- Atlanta ranks fifth in points in the paint per game (50.0) while Houston ranks 25th in points allowed in the paint per game (50.9).
- Houston ranks 10th in blocks allowed per game (4.7) while Atlanta ranks 29th (6.6).
- The Rockets rank fifth in points off turnovers per game (18.6) while the Hawks rank 29th in points off turnovers allowed per game (19.9).
- The Rockets average 8.1 steals per game, which ranks 10th in the NBA. The Hawks rank 29th in steals allowed per game (8.9).
- Atlanta averages 23.2 assists per game, which ranks 19th in the league. Houston ranks 28th in assists allowed per game (26.1).
- Houston averages 13.9 second chance points per game, which ranks eighth in the NBA. Atlanta ranks 29th in second chance points allowed per game (14.7).
- In games where they allow under 100 points, Atlanta and Houston are both 3-0.
- The Rockets are 24-10 when they reach 100 points, while the Hawks are 8-23.
- Houston is 10-8 ATS on the road, while Atlanta is 9-8 ATS at home.
- Of the Rockets’ 18 road games, they have 11 unders and 7 overs.
- In 17 home games, the Hawks have 10 unders and 7 overs.
- In their last five games, Houston and Atlanta are both 3-2 ATS.
- The Rockets have 3 overs and 2 unders over their last five games, while the Hawks have 3 unders and 2 overs
- During their last five games, the Rockets have scored an average of 114.4 points per game (5.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 110.6 points per game (3.3 below their season average).
- The Hawks’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 6.6, down from 9.8 for the season.