The nation’s top shooting defense will be at home in FedExForum, when the Memphis Tigers (18-8, 7-6 AAC) take on the 22nd-ranked Houston Cougars (21-6, 11-3 AAC). The game starts at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 22, 2020, and will air on ESPN2.
Houston Cougars at Memphis Tigers ATS Odds
Both teams were triumphant in their last game. The Tigers beat the East Carolina Pirates 77-73, while the Cougars dismantled the Tulsa Golden Hurricane 76-43.
Houston dominated every facet of the game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.375 (above their season average of 0.247) and a turnover percentage of 11.9 (better than their season average of 15.0). Tulsa recorded marks of 0.152 and 22.7, respectively, for those same stats. Meanwhile, Memphis dominated every stat category in their game. They had a turnover percentage of 15.2 (better than their season average of 20.0) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.0 (below their season average of 30.9). East Carolina recorded marks of 18.1 and 17.1, respectively, for those same stats. Memphis was lifted by Precious Achiuwa, who contributed 24 points and 12 rebounds. Caleb Mills played a key role for Houston with 27 points and five rebounds.
The Cougars dominated this series last year, taking both games. In the last contest, Houston won 61-58. Houston had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.412 vs. 0.265). Memphis, on the other hand, had a much better turnover percentage (10.2 vs. 16.9). This is the first time these teams will meet this year.
Baskets could be hard to come by in this battle between a pair of the country’s top defenses. Memphis currently ranks ninth in defensive efficiency (89.1) and Houston is 39th (93.8).
Houston Cougars at Memphis Tigers Betting Pick
Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Memphis, ATS Winner – Memphis, O/U – Over
- Memphis ranks 32nd in steals per game (8.1) while Houston ranks 224th (5.0).
- The Cougars rank sixth in rebounds per game (41.3) while the Tigers rank 184th in rebounds allowed per game (35.9).
- Houston ranks sixth in blocks allowed per game (2.1) while Memphis ranks 80th (3.1).
- The Tigers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.4, down from 8.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cougars have scored an average of 72.2 points per game (1.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 55.8 points per game (4.1 below their season average).