It will be a showdown between two tremendous defenses when the Temple Owls (9-4, 1-1 AAC) square off against the Houston Cougars (11-3, 1-0 AAC) at Liacouras Center. The game starts at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 7, 2020, and will air on CBS Sports Network.
Houston Cougars vs. Temple Owls ATS Odds
In their last matchup, the Owls got blown out by the Tulsa Golden Hurricane, 70-44, while the Cougars beat the UCF Knights, 78-63.
Houston dominated every stat category in the game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.545 (above their season average of 0.238) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.436 (below their season average of 0.505). For those same stats, UCF put up marks of 0.185 and 0.392, respectively. Temple, meanwhile, held Tulsa to an offensive rebounding percentage of 10.3 (below their season average of 30.0). Temple was led by Quinton Rose, who put up 12 points. Meanwhile, Nate Hinton played a pivotal role for Houston with 20 points, 16 rebounds and five steals.
This series was highly contested last year, as the teams split their two games last season. In the most recent matchup, the Cougars won 73-66. Houston had a much better free throw rate (0.434 vs. 0.179). Temple, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (11.0 vs. 13.8). This is the first time these teams will battle this year.
Temple figures to have the edge on the defensive side of the ball. The Owls rank 35th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.444), while Houston is 181st in effective field goal percentage (0.501). Additionally, the Cougars are among the country’s best on the offensive backboards, ranking second in offensive rebounding percentage (40.2 percent). The Owls, meanwhile, rank 45th in defensive rebounding percentage (75.9 percent).
Houston Cougars vs. Temple Owls Free Pick
Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Temple, ATS Winner – Temple, O/U – Under
- Houston averages 43.0 rebounds per game, which ranks third in the NCAA. Temple ranks 193rd in rebounds allowed per game (36.8).
- The Cougars rank 162nd in three pointers allowed per game (22.6) while the Owls rank 263rd (28.0).
- Temple ranks 62nd in assists per game (14.9) while Houston ranks 104th in assists allowed per game (12.1).
- The Owls rank 38th in steals per game (8.5) while the Cougars rank 197th (4.9).
- Houston ranks 14th in blocks per game (5.5) while Temple ranks 140th (2.8).
- During their last five games, the Cougars have scored an average of 76.2 points per game (4.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 61.2 points per game (0.3 above their season average).
- The Owls’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.2, down from 7.3 for the season.