The Sam Houston State Bearkats (17-10, 10-6 SthLnd) wrap up their home schedule at Johnson Coliseum against the Houston Baptist Huskies (3-21, 3-12 SthLnd). Action gets underway at 6:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 22, 2020.
Houston Baptist Huskies vs. Sam Houston State Bearkats Betting Odds
Both teams were beaten in their last outing. The Bearkats fell to the Lamar Cardinals, 77-65, while the Huskies were defeated by the Abilene Christian Wildcats, 82-68.
Houston Baptist did a terrific job of getting and making free throws (30-38; 78.9 percent) while Sam Houston State had a better turnover percentage (19.9 vs. 19.2). Sam Houston State was lifted by Kai Mitchell, who recorded 17 points and seven rebounds. Ian DuBose had a good game for Houston Baptist, recording 18 points and eight rebounds.
In their first matchup this year, Nutall led the Bearkats to a 95-75 victory. He produced 23 points and seven rebounds. Sam Houston State had a much better turnover percentage (15.2 vs. 21.4). Houston Baptist, on the other hand, did a great job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (25-31; 80.6 percent).
There could be a fair amount of transition offense in this battle that showcases a pair of the country’s more fast-breaking teams. Sam Houston State ranks 12th in possessions per game (75.3) and Houston Baptist is second (77.8). Additionally, the Huskies rank 325th in turnover percentage (21.9 percent), while the Bearkats rank 10th in opponents’ turnover percentage (24.7 percent).
Houston Baptist Huskies vs. Sam Houston State Bearkats Free Pick
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Sam Houston State, ATS Winner – Sam Houston State, O/U – Over
- Sam Houston State averages 16.4 assists per game, which ranks 11th in the nation. Houston Baptist ranks 273rd in assists allowed per game (19.3).
- The Huskies rank 143rd in three pointers allowed per game (21.5) while the Bearkats rank 233rd (24.2).
- Sam Houston State ranks 127th in blocks per game (3.0) while Houston Baptist ranks 162nd in blocks allowed per game (4.2).
- The Bearkats rank 10th in steals per game (9.3) while the Huskies rank 222nd in steals allowed per game (8.9).
- Sam Houston State ranks 146th in rebounds allowed per game (35.0) while Houston Baptist ranks 248th (37.6).
- During their last five games, the Bearkats have scored an average of 75.8 points per game (4.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.8 points per game (2.8 above their season average).
- The Huskies’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 9.8, down from 15.6 for the season.