The 15th-ranked North Carolina Tar Heels (9-3) and the Harvard Crimson (6-5) clash at Dean E. Smith Center. The Tar Heels look to lengthen their five-game winning streak. The game starts at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 2, 2019, and will air on ESPN2.
Harvard Crimson at North Carolina Tar Heels Betting Odds
Both teams beat their last opponent. The Tar Heels defeated the Wofford Terriers 78-67, while the Crimson beat the MIT Engineers 78-66.
Harvard’s 0.618 effective field goal percentage was their biggest advantage over MIT, who had a mark of 0.425. North Carolina, meanwhile, dominated nearly every facet of their game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 35.7 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.568. For those same stats, Wofford put up marks of 26.5 and 0.452, respectively. North Carolina received a boost from Luke Maye, who contributed 24 points and seven rebounds. Chris Lewis, meanwhile had a good outing for Harvard, recording 20 points.
Cameron Johnson and Maye have been playing well over the last five games for North Carolina. Johnson has averaged 0 points, while Maye has put up 0 points a game during that span.
This game should be a showdown of opposite tempos. North Carolina has preferred to play up-tempo (fifth in possessions per game), while Harvard has been slower-paced (282nd in possessions per game).
Harvard Crimson at North Carolina Tar Heels Free Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – North Carolina, ATS Winner – North Carolina, O/U – Over
- Harvard ranks 39th in three pointers allowed per game (19.5) while North Carolina ranks 242nd (26.7).
- The Tar Heels average 7.6 steals per game, which ranks 58th in the country. The Crimson rank 176th in steals allowed per game (8.1).
- Harvard ranks 30th in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while North Carolina ranks 132nd (4.1).
- The Tar Heels rank fourth in rebounds per game (44.8) while the Crimson rank 185th (34.8).
- North Carolina ranks fifth in assists per game (19.8) while Harvard ranks 125th (13.7).
- The Crimson have been outscored by an average of 0.2 points in their last five games. On the season, Harvard has defeated opponents by an average of 2.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Tar Heels have scored an average of 98.6 points per game (7.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 68.0 points per game (6.4 below their season average).