The Hampton Pirates (6-8, 1-0 BigSou) and the USC Upstate Spartans (6-9, 1-1 BigSou) battle at G.B. Hodge Center. The Pirates will attempt to snap a six-game road losing streak. Action begins at 6 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 8, 2020.
Hampton Pirates at USC Upstate Spartans Betting Odds
Both teams were victorious over their last opponent. The Spartans defeated the Longwood Lancers 73-56, while the Pirates beat the Charleston Southern Buccaneers 92-85.
Hampton played a perfect game. They had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 35.5 (above their season average of 29.2) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.636 (above their season average of 0.500). For those same stats, Charleston Southern was 19.4 and 0.585, respectively. Meanwhile, USC Upstate played a nearly flawless game. They had a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 30.3 (above their season average of 26.7) and a free throw rate of 0.358 (above their season average of 0.203). For those same stats, Longwood was 11.4 and 0.240, respectively. Nevin Zink fueled USC Upstate with 21 points. Hampton rallied around Ben Stanley, who recorded 22 points and 13 rebounds.
The Pirates dominated this series last year, emerging victorious in both contests. In the last contest, Hampton won 92-71. The Pirates’ offensive rebounding percentage was their biggest strength over the Spartans. Hampton had a rate of 26.5, while USC Upstate posted a mark of 15.8. This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
The physical Hampton offense seems poised to dominate from the charity stripe. The Pirates rank 68th in the country with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.261, while USC Upstate ranks 332nd in FTA rate allowed (0.303).
Hampton Pirates at USC Upstate Spartans Betting Pick
Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Hampton, ATS Winner – Hampton, O/U – Over
- Hampton ranks 46th in assists per game (15.6) while USC Upstate ranks 189th (12.1).
- The Spartans rank 151st in three pointers attempted per game (22.2) while the Pirates rank 243rd (18.2).
- The Pirates rank 41st in blocks per game (4.5) while the Spartans rank 160th (2.5).
- Hampton ranks 132nd in rebounds per game (36.7) while USC Upstate ranks 246th (33.0).
- The Spartans have outscored opponents by an average of 6.6 points in their last five games. For the season, USC Upstate has been defeated by an average of 5.0 points.
- During their last five games, the Pirates have scored an average of 68.6 points per game (7.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 76.6 points per game (0.5 below their season average).