Expect a fast-paced game when the Hampton Pirates (12-15, 7-7 BigSou) travel to Winthrop to play the Eagles (19-9, 13-2 BigSou). Action gets underway at 1 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 22, 2020.
Hampton Pirates at Winthrop Eagles ATS Odds
Both teams were triumphant in their last game. The Eagles barely escaped the Presbyterian Blue Hose 89-88, while the Pirates were victorious over the Gardner-Webb Runnin’ Bulldogs 87-77.
Hampton played a nearly perfect game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.338 (above their season average of 0.286) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 47.5 (above their season average of 29.4). Gardner-Webb was 0.183 and 27.0, respectively, for those same stats. Winthrop, on the other hand, won the rebounding battle. The Eagles had 13 offensive rebounds and 39 total rebounds, while the Blue Hose had five and 28, respectively. Chase Claxton had a solid outing for Winthrop with 14 points and seven rebounds. Meanwhile, Hampton was led by Jermaine Marrow, who finished with 33 points and seven assists.
In their first matchup this season, Josh Ferguson led the Eagles to a 116-95 victory. He notched a double-double with 20 points and 13 rebounds. Winthrop had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (56.3 vs. 30.2). Hampton, meanwhile, did a fantastic job of getting and making free throws (29-38; 76.3 percent).
Winthrop could have their way on the offensive side of the ball as their prolific offense squares off against one of the country’s worst defenses. The Eagles rank 36th in offensive efficiency, while Hampton ranks 338th in defensive efficiency. Moreover, the Pirates are among the NCAA’s best at getting to the line, ranking 19th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.288). The Eagles, meanhwile, rank 311th in opponents’ FTA rate (0.280).
Hampton Pirates vs. Winthrop Eagles Odds Pick
Free Pick: SU Winner – Winthrop, ATS Winner – Winthrop, O/U – Under
- Winthrop ranks 24th in three pointers attempted per game (27.2) while Hampton ranks 266th (17.8).
- The Pirates average 4.1 blocks per game, which ranks 51st in the country. The Eagles rank 113th in blocks allowed per game (3.4).
- The Eagles average 40.9 rebounds per game, which ranks eighth in the NCAA. The Pirates rank 242nd in rebounds allowed per game (37.3).
- Winthrop ranks 18th in assists per game (16.1) while Hampton ranks 239th in assists allowed per game (15.0).
- During their last five games, the Eagles have scored an average of 73.6 points per game (6.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 72.8 points per game (2.0 above their season average).
- The Pirates’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 5.4, up from 2.2 for the season.